How Can I Connect 2 PCs With Dial-Up Modem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 7mm, Feb 27, 2007.

1. 7mm

7mm Private E-2

HI There, I'm Using Windows XP & I Want To Connect Two PCs Using Dial-Up Modem. I've Done That Using Windows 98.....But That Was 6 Years Back & Don't Know How To Do It In Windows XPconfused . All I Remember From Past Experience Is One Of Them Must Be Server & Other One Is Client, Which Dial To Server To Make Connection.

Please People Help Me Out With This One, Please Reply!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

3. 7mm

7mm Private E-2

Thanx Budy For Your Reply. Link Posted Here Is About ICS, NOT The One I Was Look'n For. What I'm Try'n To Do Here Is Connecting Two Computers Using Modem, Say a LAN Using Modem. One Become Client & Dial To The Server (2nd PC) As Both Get Connected Just As LAN Network But & The Speed of Dial-Up Modem. It'll Be Very Slow, But Can Be Very effective IN Long Distance With No Internet Connection Available.

If Anybody Have The Solution, Please Reply! Thank You.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I'm not sure what you meant so I didn't reply before. I see now you are not looking to connect two computers to a common internet source.

If the pcs you wish to connect are near each other see this thread on Windows Direct Cable Connection

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=118850

If the computers are to connect over a telephone line, public or private, post some details of what you want to achieve.

What modems are available?
    What are the operating systems?
    How secure must the connection be?
    Do you simply want one pc to transfer files to the other or do you want one pc to control the other remotely?
    How long term / often will this need to be done?

There is software to do all this, some in Windows, some free, some commercial
    Post some answers and then we can help you.

Studio T

6. foogoo

Oh, ok your look for a null modem. I've done something like this before using just a phone cable and a 9 volt battery spliced into the red line... it worked for terminals but I don't know how you could use it as a network unless you xmodem files back and forth...

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

A null modem has nothing to do with batteries. It is merely that the serial port has an input terminal and and an output terminal. Data and control information are both transmitted on the line between these terminals. A null modem ensures that the output of one device is connected to the input of the other and vice versa. A crossover cable performs the same function in ethernet, which is also serial.
    The parallel port does not have the input/output structure. There are data lines and control lines. All devices connected can read the data, handshaking takes place on the control lines to determine which device places that data there. This can be faster than serial at the expense of more lines.
    For standard parallel there are 8 data lines. Therefore serial must go 8 times as fast to achieve the same data transfer rate. The reason SATA drives can outperform parallel data transfer is due to timing. It is necessary to ensure that the data bits on all lines is present simultaneously. With serial it does not matter if the gaps between each data bit vary slightly.

It remains for 7mm to tell us what (s)he really wants.

Studio T

8. foogoo

Well... Excuuuse me, but I forgot to quote "null modem" - I know what a true null modem is.. but back in the day of modems & terminals - I heard a straight modem to modem connection reffered to as a 'null modem'.. sorry for not being exact.

Let me just say that using a phone line and a battery is the way I got it to work.. not a fancy null modem cable. Its called hacking. Just to make sure I am using that term correctly "A hacker is also someone who modifies electronics to get extra functionality or performance."

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Foogoo you are quite right that in telephony/ telegraphy you can construct a communications circuit with 2 wires and a battery. There are also integrated circuits called modems which perform data or voltage level translation functions. The word modem is used differently by different disciplines.

For those who really want to know the posh term is

asynchronous modem eliminator cable

This mouthful is usually referred to as null modem cable or laplink cable or interlink cable. Try asking in the shop for an AME.........they will only understand if you ask for any of the common terms.

It's apparantly called null because there is NO modem!

If anyone is interested I will supply the wiring connections.

All this is only of use in this thread if 7mm has computers that can be cable connected. So I await further posting.

Studio T zzz zzz zzz

10. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

If 7mm is using "dial-up" modems like he says, then he will also need a power source. Telephony modems don't power the transmission line. They modulate a pre-existing voltage, instead. However, there are communication modems that do source their own voltages, usually +5 volts or less and configured as a differential signal source/sink. However 7mm probably doesn't have two of those. If 7mm is planning on hooking a battery to the telephony wire pair, he should use a 47K ohm to 100K ohm resistor in series with the battery. You may be OK using a 9-volt "transistor radio" battery, without a resistor, as this type of battery has a fairly high internal resistance anyway. But if you use a car battery, or similar, the modem will have a hard time modulating that, without the resistor. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds