Scratched my MSI KT4V mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dragos, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Dragos

Dragos Private E-2

Hey guys, new to the forum here, was wondering if i could get some help.
    Here's the story:

Today i went to buy a new heatsink/fan combo because my 2100+ chip seemed to running at a unhealthy temp. I went and bought the Thermaltake Volcano 12. Came back home and got started to assemble the heatsink and everything together, went by the manual and such. When i tried to start up at first it seemed that my brother had put in the heatsink facing the wrong direction and the pc would start beeping, two long beeps, one of a high note and another of lower note repeatedly. We fixed that up and the computer stopped beeping, but now it would start up everything seems fine... but no display what-so-ever. I inspected the motherboard and it seems that while installing the thermaltake (or perhaps before) the mobo had endured some damage. The scratch is right above the chip, but it did not go accross any circuits, but to mee it does look kind of deep. So, the computer starts, makes as though its working (mobo does make its usual sounds) but there is absolutely no visual output. I tried resetting the mobo, and still no luck.
    Any advice?

Tnx in advance.

2. Dragos

Dragos Private E-2

More info:

Just happen to read the "how to post for help" page just now.
    K, other specs are;
    nVidea G-Force 4 Ti 4200 VIVO
    512 DDR 333 mghz
    MSI D-Bracket
    And for the moment a small 20 Gig HD

3. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

When installing the heatsink it is very likely that you could have knocked something loose.

Try reseating your various cards and such (ie: Video, Ram, and any other devices not a permanent part of the board and lat us know what happens.

4. Dragos

Dragos Private E-2

Im not really sure what you mean by resetting, can you expand on that?

5. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Take them out and put them back in ;) ...........

6. Dragos

Dragos Private E-2

right, i thought so. I did that and still the same effect. no output, fans working HD working Vid card working, but no output.

7. ACE 256

Its a long shot but try reseting the bios .....and maybe try a dif. vid card......

8. Dragos

Dragos Private E-2

resetting bios i tried, i shall try another vid card now and tell you what happens.

9. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

Your saying the Vid card is working but your not getting any output to the monitor. Could be the VID card, try another one if possible.

EDIT: Yeah, what you guys said. :) .

10. Dragos

Dragos Private E-2

tried it, and still no output, also reset the bios. same del as before

The D-Bracket 2 has all 4 LED's lit up, i read up on it and it says that the processor is either installed improperly or is damaged.

11. ACE 256

All 4 are red ??? BAD sign .....Youl get the same error if the mobo is dead too ...If its socket A you cant install it improperly ....maybe resetting the cpu and cooler ????

12. Dragos

Dragos Private E-2

ill give it a try

13. Dragos

Dragos Private E-2

Still the same. Do you think maybe i should try some conductive paint? though im not sure if its a good idea

14. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Do you have a separate souncard?

15. ACE 256

:confused: ..........

16. Dragos

Dragos Private E-2

no separate sound card, its integrated

17. Dragos

Dragos Private E-2

isnt there some kind of paint that can be used to fix it or something of the sort?

So is it the scratch thats causing all of this?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  18. ACE 256

No not realy if the mobo is scratched to deep.....a mobo is layerd thares 20 or more dif. layers of circuitry .....

19. Dragos

Dragos Private E-2

giaarrr.... that sucks, i really liked that mobo... is there nothing i can do?

20. ACE 256

Try a dif. CPU if you can but if the scratched mobo killed the CPU too then youl just kill the CPU your testing with :-/ ........

21. Dragos

Dragos Private E-2

thats just wonderful

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds