Faulty Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shane809, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Shane809

Shane809 Private E-2

Hello I am a newbie to this site

For months now I've been having problems with my computer and it would just power off suddenly. It seemed like my computer was overheating because it was going of all the time but I just ignored the problem. Recently it just kept on crashing forcing me to shut it down. but now it wont turn on at all and I opened it up to see if the fan was spinning but it wasnt spinning so i decided to put a new fan into the cpmouter the new one works fine but the computer doesnt come on still. could my CPU be burnt out or could it be the motherboard,

Any Ideas Please? :cry

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum:)

Was it the CPU fan you replaced,or some other system fan? Can you post the specs of the computer in as much detail as possible,including your operating system.

First disconnect the power and find the small coin shaped battery on the motherboard,remove it for 20 secs,replace,reconnect power and describe in detail what happens when you press the power button,lights,fans,noises ect.

3. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , after Rikky suggestions , next movement is cheking power supply i guess !! :wave

4. Shane809

Shane809 Private E-2

Hi Guys thanks for replying

There was two fans in the computer all together and I have replaced the CPU fan the other fan was for cooling the computer itself. I cant tell you the exact specfications of the computer as it is rebuilt from scrach by another Person. I have power coming into the computer and I have tested the computer with an old power supply but I am sill getting nothing on the screen just lights and I have taken the cmos battery out like you asked.

The powers supply's fan is working fine no loud noises or anything but on the front of the computer I am gettting a Red L.ED Warning light and it changes to blue after 35 seconds. I am getting no sound beeps when I am powering up the computer

I also forgot to mention that I got a lot of blue screen's when the computer was working.

Windows 7 PC
    Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
    Gigabyte Gaming Graphic's card dont know the exact Model
    2 Sticks Of Ram 512mb
    AMD Athlon 6 X2

Many Thanks

Shane

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend, download this tool

http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html

follow the process :

from left column choose

Summary ( wait 30 seconds until report generated )

from bar menu select :

File
    Save as Text file

choose desktop as saving location

follow this process to post your machine type report

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

your old power supply is working properly ? Are you checking it before ? :wave

6. Shane809

Shane809 Private E-2

Hi as i said from the start I cant get the desktop on to run this tool. I am using my loptop to communicate to you

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

My best guess would be your CPU has overheated and died due to running it without a fan,lots of BSOD's are a clear symptom of this,there isn't a way to test a cpu without putting it in another motherboard to see if it works if you don't have a spare motherboard to test it you'll have to take it to a store.

A few things to check and test,the cpu fan you've replaced is it a direct replacement for your cpu heatsink and does it have the correct number of wires and is it connected to the cpu fan header?

For testing disconnect everything that's not needed,hard drive,cdrom,all ad in cards apart from the video card,use one stick of memory in dimm 0 if you have two then switch sticks.

Do you have a spare video card you can try or another computer to try that video card in,also does you video card require a power connector and is it connected?

This is interesting because I've never heard of such a light on a normal case,only power and hard drive light 'unless they are combined into one unit that flashes red when the hard drive is accessed and blue the rest of the time' so I don't know what it means,do you know the model of the case?

Does the hard drive make any noises?The 35 seconds is about the time it would take to boot into windows or try to boot into windows,I'm wondering if its loading windows but isn't turning on the monitor which would be a symptom of a video card or display problem,if your CPU is dead there should be no hard drive activity at all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds