Can't get past blue screen w/xp logo

Discussion in 'Software' started by ThomasK, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ThomasK

ThomasK Private E-2

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a Windows XP laptop and when I turn it on it I can't get past the blue screen w/Xp logo on it. The computer just sits there doing nothing. I just payed to have this fixed not too long ago, and here I am back where I started. It lasted a couple of months and that's it. They told me they weren't quite sure what the problem was.
    Someone said it was probably my bootup and that I needed my recovery cd's to repair it. Well, I have my cd's but when I boot into the cd it just tells me "This process will restore the original factory operating system on your hard drive." I do not see a repair option anywhere.
    If someone recognizes this problem and could help me out I would really appreciate it. I'm not really sure what I'm doing here, but I know I want to learn so that I can save my money and be able to fix this in the future.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The CDs you have are most likely factory restore CDs, and the people you've spoken to were referring to an actual Windows XP installation disc from Microsoft (or an OEM) that contains only Windows, and not all the drivers and 'bloatware' that usually is included on factory restore discs. Therefore, you probably don't have a repair option. You can try pressing the F8 key until you get the Windows Boot Options menu, then select 'Last Known Good Configuration'. If that doesn't work, try booting into Safe Mode. If neither of those work, let us know and we'll delve deeper....

3. ThomasK

ThomasK Private E-2

I've already done the 'Last Known Good Configuration', also, booting into Safe Mode. I get the same screen.

Thanks so much for your help!;)

4. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

It almost sounds like you have a bad memory stick but thats a shot in the dark. Failing powersupply graphics anything could cause this type of problem. Often pulling and resetting the memory will fix the problem for a while but it will come back. If your laptop has a floppy (fat chance) Google Memtest86 and download the freeware for a floppy or a cd-rom if you don't have a floppy. Run the test from boot (go into your bios and set floppy or cd-rom as the first boot device depending on what you use). Memtest is a tiny program, it seems a waste to put it on a 700mb cd-rom so use a cd-rw if you can.

Let the test run several passes and if there is no failure then we can look somewhere else.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds