Major problems with msiexec.exe

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fazumar, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Fazumar

Fazumar Private E-2

Hello everyone,

I am having serious issue with the msiexec.exe file eating away huge chunks of my CPU power and memory.

While my computer is running, regardless of whether I just turned it on- or it has been on for hours, if I ctrl-alt-del and look at the processes running

MSIEXEC.EXE is ALWAYS running at least once, if not twice. and it is taking huge amounts of CPU power.

If I kill the process, it removes for about 2 seconds, and then springs back up.

I am aware that it is the windows installer file, but I am really not sure how to get it to stop "re-spawning" itself and putting a chokehold on my CPU

Virus/Spyware scans have not been helping.

Please give me some suggestions, this is really bothersome!

2. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Click 'Start' >> 'Run'.

In Run type services.msc and click OK.

In Services look for Windows Installer and double click on it to open 'Properties'.

In the 'General' tab under 'Startup type' set to 'Manual' and stop the service Click on the 'Recovery' tab and set all failures to 'Take no action'. Click 'Apply', 'OK'.

By setting the installer 'Startup type' to manual, Windows Installer will only start when it is needed.

3. rexx123456

rexx123456 Private E-2

Thank you, Fazumar. It worked.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds