Windows update show up as o kb and fail to install

Discussion in 'Software' started by Treetops, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Treetops

Treetops Private E-2

As said in the title the updates for my grandpas computer fail to install, and show up as 0 kb size when I go to download\install. He reinstalled windows recently and his internet stopped working, so I took it home and fixed it by

<edited by Administrator>

doing that, now I have this problem, the other forum seems to be stumped, I have seen your site here and there and thought I would give ya all a crack at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2008
  2. Treetops

Treetops Private E-2

Ah that link does not go where its supposed to, I have windows xp sp3, I manually installed sp3 from a flash stick. I have tried this so far
    HP Pavilion a810n Desktop PC 64

1.Click start
    2.Right click "my computer"
    3.Click "properties" then the "automatic updates" tab
    4.Choose "turn off automatic updates"
    5.Reboot your computer
    6.Go back to start menu and in all programs go to "windows update" you have to be connected to the internet.
    7.Manually update windows.
    8.Turn your automatic updates back on.

If that fails; I came across the following (you should be signed on as an Administrator:: <edited by Administrator>

"Disable Automatic Updates service (services.msc)

Copy folders Download and DataStore which are in
    %windir%\SoftwareDistribution (%windir% is usually c:\windows) to another folder (e.g. desktop)

Delete the content of Download and DataStore

Didn't work

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2008
  3. Treetops

Treetops Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds