Word 2000 crashes on closing in Win 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bob423, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Bob423

Bob423 Private E-2

I've encountered a problem running Word 2000 under W7 Proff 64-bit. Word runs, edits and saves ok but when I try to quit I get a popup "Microsoft Word for Windows has stopped working"

Word 2000 had worked fine for several years until my desk top crashed several times due to the cpu overheating, later fixed by applying new thermal paste (computer was 5 years plus old).

Now Word 2000 works fine in all respects until I go to exit the program when I get the message shown at the top of the post.

If I open a file in Word and then open a second file which causes a second instance of Word 2000 to open, the second instance of Word 2000 will close normally, strange. Note, the second instance of Word opens instantly, the initial instance opens with a 10 sec delay.

Excel 2000 works fine, no issues.

What I've done to date but with no improvement:
    1 - Deleted "Normal.dot", the only *.dot* on the computer
    2 - Did a repair of Word 2000 through Uninstall/Install in Control Panel.
    3 - Ran FSC, no errors noted
    4 - Noted that Word 2000 opens after a 10 sec delay, it used to open instantly. Suspecting some com issue, changed from my old HP 2010 laserjet to a new Epson inkjet, no change in issue.
    5 - Ran a virus scan of all hard drives, nothing found (Norton)
    6 - Ran a malware scan, same result

What made a difference:
    1 - Started Word 2000 without add-ins with the "/a" command and word 2000 will exit normally.
    2 - - Checked to see if any add-ins were being loaded when started without the /a command, none listed.

I have not yet deleted and reinstalled Word 2000, perhaps that's next. Given that Word 2000 worked fine on my Win7 64 professional installation for years, there must be a way out of this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Ninefifty

Ninefifty Private First Class

I also still use Word 2000 on Win7 64bit.
    5 years on and it still remains my favourite for writing letters.

You may want to install Open Office writer program.
    If your colleagues are using newer versions of Microsofts word processing programs you may experience incompatible issues.

The above is a suggestion.
    I would've just tried reinstalling either word 2000 alone or deleted all of my office 2000 collection then reinstalled all as one. Failing that I would've given up.

Scanning your registry may help - defragmentation.

4. Bob423

Bob423 Private E-2

plodr

The thing is I have Word 2000 installed on my laptop too which is also Win 7 64 bit updated to the same level as on my desktop which works just fine not to mention that it worked for years on my desktop before the crashes caused by an overheating cpu.

I had looked at the thread you mentioned before posting at Major Geeks figuring that if anyone could find a solution it would be here. There is some file somewhere left by the crashes that Win 7 didn't clean up when restarted that must be causing the problem. It's an annoyance. I have a workaround of just starting Word, opening a doc file, then opening the doc file I want to work on (two instances of Word open), minimize the first file and when I'm done with the file I was working on, it closes normally. Then I close the file I opened first and, of course, it hangs but eventually closes.

I just seems there ought to be an answer.

Ninefifty
    I like Word 2000 too, it does everything I need in a word processing program and I installed the docx mod from Microsoft so I can read newer documents but there's always the chance there's a problem with a new feature that 2000 can't handle.

I'll try deleting and reinstalling Word 2000 next and use a registry cleaner.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

5. Bob423

Bob423 Private E-2

Re: Word 2000 crashes on closing in Win 7 - FIX (?)

It appears I have a solution, we'll see how it goes over the next few days. After much searching, I wound up at a Microsoft site with a FixIt for Win7 for Word problems.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/822005

When I first started the Fix it app, it said I had to close winword first even though Word was not open. However, I found four instances of winword active in the Task Manager (I had opened four Word documents earlier, closed them but Task Manager indicated the instances were still active). I manually closed them and ran the Fix it. Upon restarting Word, it now starts up quickly and closes without an error. Fingers are crossed...

6. Bob423

Bob423 Private E-2

Re: Word 2000 crashes on closing in Win 7 - FIX (?)

As of 8/2/2015, the one time fix above is still working, great to have Word 2000 back!!

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Good for you! :celebrate

FYI Microsoft Office 2003 works in Windows 8 - if one day you want to upgrade.

8. Bob423

Bob423 Private E-2

Word 2000 works fine in Win10 too, 64 bit. Last fix still good.

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds