Bootable disk from ISO fie

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Jul 28, 2015.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I am not good enough to use ImgBurn to burn an iso file to a bootable dvd.
    Would I be better off with Ashampoo or Windows 8.1?
    Ashampoo says "burn a dvd from an ISO file but it does not say bootable so I don't know if it is bootable.
    Win 8.1 seems to just say to right click and burn the ISO file but again it does not say bootable. I noticed ImgBurn does have a box to make bootable unfortunately it is too hard for me.
    So I guess the question is, "If a program is going to burn an ISI file to dvd is it going to be bootable?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

With Windows ISOs peter (rather than Linux ISOs) it's the ISO itself that is either bootable or not bootable, rather than the way you burn it. So for example the Macrium Reflect Rescue CD ISO is bootable and you only need to right click it to ask 8.1 to burn it to disk and the disk will be bootable. Same goes for the Acronis Rescue ISO and many others. However an ISO of a disk containing say music files would not be bootable.

There is an alternative to burning bootable ISOs to disk. If you install EasyBCD you can add bootable ISOs to its boot menu and boot right into them rather than into Windows and no need to burn to disk at all unless you want to.

Whether you use disks or EasyBCD your computer has to be configured to boot from devices other than the hard disk. Modern UEFI motherboards are often configured to make this impossible without changing the UEFI/BIOS settings first.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

peterr...

What are you trying to burn? Earthling is correct on all counts. A bootable .iso is just a bootable disk minus the disk so to speak. If the .iso is rather an installer, you can mount it using a DVD emulator like MagicDisk and then install the program. How to use the .iso depends on what is inside the .iso.

If you are creating a bootable disk, the correct choice in Ashampoo is "burn a dvd from an ISO file". The Windows 8.1 right click burn should work fine for the .iso if the file is a bootable format just in need of a disk.

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank both for your clear explanation. I am planning to burn a disc when the windows 10 ISO file is available .
    I will be using Ashampoo as it fits my level.
    Regards,
    Peter

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Why are you using a third party program? Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 allows you to right click an ISO and burn a bootable DVD.

I don't run 8/8.1 but I've burned ISOs in Win 7 quite a few times.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you for pointing that out. I have used it before . Btw, have you given 8.1 a try?
    I think it is the best operating system yet. I imaged back to 7 once and immediately returned to 8.1. Give it a try.

9. plodr

If you are asking me Peter, no I haven't tried nor intend to try 8.1. We have four Windows 7 computers in the house: two desktops and two netbooks. All the programs and the printers are working fine with these four computers. So we're staying where we are at until late 2019 then I'll decide what I want to do.

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

You have a point as I had to get drivers for my printer and one other feature which slips my mind. It was a minor download.
    I was generally referring to the difference in speed and overall performance that I experienced. with 8.1 over 7. To me I could no longer tolerate 7 after having worked on 8.1. I was very skeptical at first. I now have the disc from the ISO file and use the Win 8 password or key to reinstall or reset.
    I personally much preferred the format and layout.
    But that is why we have chocolate and vanilla.

11. Earthling

Have to agree with you peter about 8.1 and 7 as I have the Pro versions in dual boot on this laptop so it's a fair comparison. Both are very stable but the sluggishness of 7 compared with 8.1 means I never use it now. 7 is fine on the i5 8gb system upstairs but on this more modest system it's a bit of a pain.

I shall have to decide which to upgrade but that can wait.

12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Yes by itself or in itself seven is stable and seems to be a good operating system but when compared to 8.1, one really notices the difference.
    I will wait a few weeks after 10 is out and then probably will upgrade + image then decide which I should keep.
    I'll image back to 8.1 if not happy with 10.
    I have images of 7,8,+8.1 so will add 10 to the list.
    Soon I'll do some spring cleaning with the external drives.

13. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>If I ever decide to burn to flash drives I will use that utility - I had heard about it. Right now I find keeping al my material in a cd/dvd case easier. I see the change coming though where there will be no bays for discs.
    Thank you

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

Not really relevant to this thread, except for the last post. I do not have a cd/dvd drive in my computer for the last 2 years.

But, I live in the city, with fast internet access, if I were out in the country with satellite internet, that would force me to buy software at the store.

15. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Did you consider getting a USB connected optical drive? My laptop has a built-in one but, I bought an external one so I'd still be able to use optical media should the internal optical drive fail (one of them did).

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've got two here: an external DVD for my Mac and an external BD for everything else.

I've used the Mac one maybe once in three years. The BD drive has seen similar use.

17. plodr

External burner here which I do use. We have 3 netbooks with no optical drives and one very old computer with only a CD-ROM! The external burner is used more to play DVDs on those 4 computers than to burn but it is handy.
    If an internal drive is acting up, I can connect the external to help me troubleshoot whether it is a hardware or software issue.

18. Earthling

Couple of small Lenovo laptops here which don't have optical drives though the seller did throw in a pair of USB drives. They are only rarely used though as I also installed Virtual Clone Drive in which you can mount ISOs, just like having a disc in the drive - apart from no burning of course. The only use for the USB drives that I can foresee is when burning or booting a disc to clean install Windows, like once a blue moon.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds