Help! Can't Load Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by eZAK, Jul 28, 2015.

1. eZAK

eZAK Private E-2

Hello All,

I received a blue screen flash, then restart, then 'Error Loading OS'
    Tried Win 7 pro x64 OEM disk, repair disk, Norton 360 repair disk, BIOS, and even cmd prompt (boot repair and recover).

Can't access my (2) two back-ups either!

:(

Any suggestions fellas???

*Bare with me, I operating from a old Win XP pc.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Did it at least boot from the OEM DVD? If so, it sounds like hard drive problems. Were the backups on a separate drive or on another partition on the same drive?

3. intzepatorii

intzepatorii Private E-2

Check your hdd and memory...
    If you are sure the hardware is OK you can install the OS on another partition and restore the backup. ;)

4. eZAK

eZAK Private E-2

OK,
    Did Not boot from OEM DVD.
    One back up was on the internal drive WD velocity raptor 250GB separate partition,
    The other is (hopefully) on a removable hdd, not connected.

Won't let me check the memory. Tried to check the hdd but it seemed like it was taking too long. Also tried to load on a part. Seemed to put 40GB on but did not finish do to restarts.

I'm think new hdd?

5. intzepatorii

intzepatorii Private E-2

why doesn't let you test the memory. Check this: http://www.memtest86.com/

what do you mean by taking too long to check the hdd...
    what does the SMART say? is everything ok? you can check it offline on another computer if you don't want to install a fresh OS/DVD not booting.

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

1.) Did you change the boot sequence in BIOS so that the optical drive was ahead of the internal HDD?

2.) Make sure about that "other" backup. You may still be able to use it.

3.) A 250 GB drive will take quite some time to check. You'll have to be patient. Don't do anything else to the drive until the disk checker you're using finishes.

4.) If the disk checker reports a lot of errors or bad sectors, definitely.

7. eZAK

eZAK Private E-2

This is warring on me!

OK, The short version;
    After about 6hrs. of this non-sense, the 'CHKDSK' came up with only one error.

Root cause found:
    "Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem"
    Repair action:
    "System files integrity check & repair failed. Error code = 0x490"

Any ideas?

I was successful in installing win 7 on another partition on the same affected drive.
    Of course now when I boot up I have to choose between Windows 7 and Windows 7 Pro (recovered).
    If I choose win 7 I get the blue screen flash then a restart.
    If I choose win 7 pro (recovered) I get to the bare bones ver.

Can these two 'disk parts' be merged ?

What is my next move here ? (besides drinking heavily)

8. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

eZAK...

With the current arrangement you have, I think you may be in for some inconveniences. I'm not sure of all the details, but it partitioning comes to my mind as something you may have to begin to take a look at.

You cannot merge the 2 OS partitions. However, you should be able to easily enough move your files from the corrupt partition (Win 7), to the new installation. That won't help you with your programs, though. They would have to be reinstalled. Same with system and program settings. You would have to change them back to what they were.

Then you have a situation where I think your new partition would be to the right of the old one. That means that if you want to delete the old partition to reclaim the free space, you wouldn't be able to absorb the empty space into the new partition without figuring out a way to move the partition to the left. That's because partitions can only absorb free space that is right of the partition, not left. One of the partition experts can help you there. Maybe Earthling can help or someone else...

9. eZAK

eZAK Private E-2

Update,
    I went with a new drive.
    I'm now about 80% back.

Q's;
    Can the old hdd (VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS) be fixed and reused or should I just trash it?

How can I make a bootable drive image for easier recovery?

10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Q1. Trash it.

Q2. Try Paragon Backup & Recovery 14 Free Edition.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds