Telnet program for Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by akm, Aug 1, 2015.

1. akm

akm Sergeant

How, if possible, to find/install/run a program something like HyperTerminal (apparently no longer available for W7) for telnet ?
    Ie not need to use 'Run'/cmd every time one needs to use telnet ?
    :-o

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You can add it to Windows 7.

Launch programs/features and look to the left to add or remove features for Windows. I am in OS X right now so I don't have the exact wording.

Or you can use something like PuTTY.

3. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the thought.
    Looked into that earlier, and at http://www.wikihow.com/Activate-Telnet-in-Windows-7#Using_Telnet_sub it indicated that after 'turning the feature on' at the control panel, cmd was still necessary.
    Also, the nice thing about HyperTerminal was being able to save server addresses.
    Am trying to get to emails using Freeport (Unix) and Pine... just some historical info.
    :)
    Will take a look at PuTTY, or is is it FuTTY
    :confused
    as shown at http://sourceforge.net/directory/terminals/telnet/os:windows/freshness:recently-updated/, as I just found, which shows several possibilities.
    Thanks again.

Ps: Anyone have any ideas/experience with the programs at the link above, or other ?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've used PuTTY. I think it will probably be precisely what you want.

[​IMG]

5. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the recommendation.
    Although downloading seems a bit confusing.
    Sourceforge.net seems to offer all kinds of downloads for Putty and other addons in a confusing 'button/s' window/s.
    Could you recommend a specific version and maybe a simple place to download ?
    Also, when I did download (several times, including cnet.com) it comes in a zip folder with no .exe file, only a .sis, .pdf, and .txt files.
    :confused
    Thoughts ?

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

7. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks much !
    Thanks for the link, worked great... once upon a time I had a workaround for searching MG downloads, but havent brought it back into the old head born 'pc' yet.
    :-o
    For ref, also needed some help with 'saving' a Putty connection/session, and found it at...
    http://kb.site5.com/shell-access-ss...ad-save-or-delete-server-connection-settings/.
    Hope maybe you have helped some others with these postings !

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Glad you got it all sorted :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds