Can't Restore Backed Up System Recovery

Discussion in 'Software' started by hardrocks, Aug 2, 2015.

1. hardrocks

hardrocks Private E-2

Hi Everyone

This is the deal, Friday Morning, my Compaq Laptop crashed, while running Windows 8 or 8.1, not sure on that. I was able to backup all my files onto my external hard drive and then restored the computer to factory.

Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me the original settings on this computer were Windows Vista and my backup was Windows 8. I have tried to do the System Recovery on the computer, but am unable to see any of my files.

I know I have plenty of room on this computer to handle the backed up files, but I fear that because I do not have Windows 8 anymore it won't read it.

I am not sure what to do, because on that backup I should have my Windows 8 and the Microsoft Office complete, not the 60 day trial I now have. I know the back up is still on the external hard drive, but I am not sure how to open the shortcut that Windows made when I did their recovery program.

Is there anyway to get my computer up to the working mode it was before. I do not have the software that had been installed in this computer. When I bought it second hand everything was already up and running on it.

Anyone have any ideas how to solve this problem and do you need anymore info? I will contact my computer guy and have him help me get what ever you need.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It sounds like you used the Win 8 system image tool to create your backup, does that ring any bells? If so, or even if not, on your external HDD there should be a folder named SystemImageBackup, so the first thing to check is that you have this folder. If you do not, and if there is no other drive it could be on, then your backup no longer exists. If you have that folder then your backup exists but you may at present lack the means to restore it, such as a Win 8 system recovery disk (you make these yourself), or a Win 8 or 8.1 installation disk. You probably have the latter as you would have needed it to upgrade the computer from Vista to 8 or 8.1.

Let us know.

Welcome to MG btw :)

3. hardrocks

hardrocks Private E-2

Thank you Earthling for the info.

While looking for the file you described I found my missing files and my pictures, the files are business related and are more important then anything else. The problem I will have now is getting the software to be able to open them LOL.

It seems that the back-up went under New User and that is why I didn't see them at first. I do bookkeeping for a number of clients and their information was all in the Documents.

Do you know of any software that will open Excel and Office other then the high dollar Microsoft? I wasn't able to find any programs yet but I am still looking. Can you give me any idea what it would look like on my computer? I know a little bit and am a fast learner.

I really appreciate the insight on the other. Thanks again for all your help!

Rocks

Live Well! Laugh Hard! Love Big!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds