Backing up before updating...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Steverino, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Steverino

Steverino Private E-2

Hey y'all.
    I've recently upgraded to XP Pro, and I need to download the updates. The ol' PC says to back things up before I do this. Is backing up necessary? Foolish as it may sound, I've never done it before... at all... save for copying some things onto CDs.
    So... do I need to? And what do I need to do if I were to do it? Does it eat up scads of space?

Thanks,

Steve

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

do you know what Steve... when I have updated XP the only thing I do is to make a System Restore point just before going to windows update, but while at windows update DO read what the updates are for as some you just may not need.

It is aways wize to backup things like important documents and data plus Internet Favorites folder, Email Address book etc etc

Favorites folder you just can copy the folder from C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXX\Favorites ( XXXX = user name )

Address Book can be backed up from opening Address Book and clicking File > Export and pick Address Book ( WAB )

pop all these and your other imposrtant stuff onto a CDRW that way you can just erase and update the info or a normal CDR will do ( they are cheap these days ) I actually save my backup data to a separate HD so if you have 2 HDs in your PC then create a backup folder and save your important stuff onto there as well as the CDRW route.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds