can not open any files or programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by topkat690, Nov 8, 2008.

1. topkat690

topkat690 Private First Class

my neice's computer keeps saying that the copy of windows thtat she has is counterfit so I am trying to put a new copy of xp pro on it but there is a few problems one is she can not open any of her programs such as add/remove, or any other ones in control panel she also cannot open any programs on her desktop so I cannot run spyware guard or get online to download any malware rmoval programs also i cannot load any software by way of the cd rom because it shows up but will not open I know I put spyware guard on there but I'm not sure wht else is on there so what is a good malware removal software? I think I may be able to open it using task manager and doing new task I'm going to try to get online by using task manager also. so anyone help me to get this computer going again and getting the windows situation rsolved I have a new xp pro disk and a new license number that came with it because I don't know where the old one is or who upgraded this pc from 2000 to xp pro. thank you in advance.:

2. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

gday at what point did this problem occur? have you tried to us the f8 function at boot up and use the" last known good configuration " setting from the menu.you may also want to try safe mode from the same menu and try to use what ever malware or virus scans you have available

3. topkat690

I'm not sure when all of this happened I do know that for the past 2 months things have been slowly happening to the computer like her son would get a lot of popups when he would use internet explorer to go online and she click on one of those popups that says there is a virus on her computer to click on the popup to scan her computer to fix it after she told me what she had donde I immediately downloaded spybot search and destroy and avast but avast stopped her from getting online through the wireless connection so I took it off and now spybot has disapeared I think her son uninstalled it.

I have done all of the things you have suggested and nothing works I am wondering if there is a scan online that takes malware off off of your system because right now all she has on there is spywareguard and I cannot download and open any thing could windows be blocking me beacause the copy she has is saying that it is not licensed?

4. iwunderdownunder

gday topkat690 the symptoms you have described are definitely malware related the popups and by the description you have given the computer is infected with antivirus2008,this is a phony antivirus program that promts you to download a scan because your computer is infected and then all hell breaks loose.you have 2 options you can completely format your hard drive and reinstall a new os or you can start a post in the malware section and the expert malware fighters may be able to assist you.also as for the copy of windows you currently have on board being a fraudulent or fake copy i am not sure if this is for real or just another symptom of the malware you have.for you to be able to install a new copy of windows and format the drive first you will have to change the boot sequence in your bios setup screen so that the computers first boot is to your cd rom then place a copy of windows in the cd rom and restart your computer,follow the prompts from there.

5. topkat690

that last time I formatted a hard drive I lost alot of the hardware drivers but it was pII and it had win98 on it I had tried to upgrade to xp and it crashed so how do I format the drive if I cannot access anything on it I remember doing something when it boots up there is a function key to hold down is that so but I know I have to change my boot sequence before I format right? I'm going to bed now but I will be back on tomorrow evening it is now 11;48 here in calif.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  6. iwunderdownunder

yes that is correct generally if you hold down the F2 key at boot up this should take you to the bios setup.from there you navigate to the boot sequence menu and change the first boot to cd rom save and exit then place the copy of windows in the cd rom and reboot the machine. this should now start with the installation of windows.before you format the drive is it possible for you to check in the device manager so you can note down the drivers required for your sound, graphics and any other drivers you may need you can normally down load these drivers for free of the net or if you have the cd that came with the computer you can find the drivers you need on this.but like i first said this could be one option the other is to start a thread in the malware section and see if they can help you first.

7. topkat690

Thank you so much iwonderdownunder I will be formating the drive as soon as I can get the time this week and I am in agreement with confuscios I will be downloading her some protection from this sight as soon as I get her back up and running do you have any suggestions for an anti- virus software? I believe I can get into the device manager through new task so I will be noting the drivers for all devices I think I may need them for I will let you know how everything turns out.

8. iwunderdownunder

yes please let me know how you get on,i am here every now and then mostly then.as for a good antivirus softwear there a lot of good free programs around and different people would recommend the one that they feel comfortable with.i have tried a lot of different ones from avast to comodo,pc tools and some i can't even remember,but i have always retuned to using avg and now that avg 8.0 has antispyware scanning incorperated into the program i feel it is much more efficient. i also use zonealarm firewall version 8 these two programs make me feel my computer is very secure.good luck

9. topkat690

I cannot get it to boot from the cd once I changed the bios to boot from the cd rom first it just goes into windows. and I still have no desktop icons and I have to do everything through task manager's new task I know the cd rom works because I put a cd in it and it played it. I also put the xp pro cd in and it started out but when it got to the page where you choose the language it does not go any further it hangs up and stops. So how can I format from within windows? :cry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds