reactivate xp question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ralphy, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Ralphy

Ralphy Private E-2

I have owned my computer since Jan. of 2003 purchased new. About 4 years ago I added more memory. About 10 months ago I added the max amount of 2gb. Other than that and occasional cleaning I have done nothing to the inside of the PC. I have an external hd that I only run to backup occasionally. Yesterday I added Comodo firewall free and when it finished installing it asked to reboot which I did. During the reboot process Windows said I have changed the hardware significantly or something to that and I need to reactivate my copy. I have reactivated and windows accepted the code. All seems to be good.
    My question is WHY DID WINDOWS NEED ME TO REACTIVATE WHEN I HAVE DONE NOTHING TO THE INSIDE OF THE BOX?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Seems as if XP has taken one of the installed services of Comodo as a hardware device change, best is to call the activation support line and tell them of this and that NO hardware was changed, you just installed software and after the reboot it wants activating agsin, thats if it wont auto activate.

To get the number for your locality click the I will activate by phone http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

3. Ralphy

Ralphy Private E-2

Thank you for the quick reply. The only thing I was asked to change was the DNS settings. Why that would trigger a reactivation request is intriguing.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Again its possible that changing DNS data could have enabled a driver/service in Comodo thats classed as a hardware driver as Comodo is likely taking over some of the Windows devices for the Internet/Firewall, have seen similar happen with Acronis True Image backup app, as one of its Services can be mistaken as a hardware device due to the driver.

Do think its a rare occurance and maybe a multitude of scenarios have to fall into place to trigger the re-activation notice, or its a glitch.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds