Can't Delete "Source Path too long"

Discussion in 'Software' started by John126w, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John126w

John126w Private E-2

I'm trying to delete some old folders that were back-up of an old computer. There are some files in there that are too long and I get the attached error. I can't delete them, won't let me rename them, won't let me move them, nothing seems to work. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.

- John

Attached Files:

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

If it is to the extrem where it will not delete bye normal means there is away to shread the file.

Use this progream Iobits ASC 6
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5927

Once you install this program go to the file all you should have to do is Right click on the icon or file or folder and move mouse to Shred File When the White page pops up Iobit File shredder click next.Read what is there if you want a Quick delete or secure delete. then click next.

You can all so go threw the ASC program to do this as well you will have to switch the main menu to expertmode and open toolbox then look for file shredder.

This will shred the file and Delete it pretty good.

My Question here?? ----> What is this file or folder to ???

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  3. John126w

John126w Private E-2

These are files that somehow I backed up accidentally and are some sort of Internet Explorer temp files. I tried using that program and it said they were deleted, but the files and folders are still there. They are on an external hard drive connected to the computer.

- John

Attached Files:

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You could try moving the files to another folder using the command prompt. Or deleting them from the command prompt but that may be tedious if there are 80 files.

You could create a folder in the C:\ drive named something short like trash.
    Then open a command prompt, I think you are using Vista/Win7 so just type cmd in the Start/Search box.

Then use the cd command to change directory. If you know the full path to the folder with the files you can just type cd C:\rest\of\path
    If it is easier you can use cd .. to go up a directory and then keep using cd foldername until you get to the folder with your files. Use dir /x to get a list of files including their short name. Then use the short name of the file to delete it. ie. for your file it would be del 1;dcopt~1 Or attempt to move the files to the trash directory and delete them from there from within Windows Explorer. Move *.* to C:\trash\*.*

I realize this post jumps around a bit so if you are not familiar with command prompt I can try to make it clearer.

5. sach2

I just read your other posts. Are you selectively deleting files in that folder or can you just delete the whole folder at once(In Explorer)?

6. John126w

John126w Private E-2

I am trying to delete the whole folder. I've tried deleting the folder and tried to delete individual files but neither way worked.

-John

7. sach2

I just did the command prompt way from this link http://www.f-prot.com/support/windows/fpwin_faq/122.html

It worked and it should work even for long file names.

There are a couple of things that would be different. You have to manually get to that fcontent.ie5 folder so the command would be: (Where you substitute the correct drive letter and yourusername folder.

cd L:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\

Then use dir /a to get a list of the folders.
    Then use del FOLDERNAME and say yes. It should empty the folder and then the folder can be deleted either in command prompt or in Explorer.

8. John126w

John126w Private E-2

WooHoo! That worked. Was a bit tedious to get there, but it's all gone! Thanks so much sach2!

- John

9. sach2

Good work!

Yes, that is one heck of a long path. I'm sure there was a more direct way but my mind was blank at other options.

10. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

That is way i gave the link to the ASC it has a File shredder that will pretty much delete any file or folder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds