Looking to improve video performance

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, Jul 30, 2005.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I know this is technically hardware related, but I thought that there might be a software solution.

I am running a notebook with 768 megabyes of memory. It has a SiS M760GX integrated video chip thing, and I have it set to 128MB shared (it allows 32, 64, or 128) That leaves me with 640MB of RAM which is still pretty good, right? My CPU is an AMD Sempron 3000+ (not the best) but I can't get my PC to play Guild Wars. It installs fine and supports Direct X 9.0c and when I get into the game and even when I turn every single visual setting completely down (or in some cases when applicable, off) the screen still flashes white every time I take a step.

I didn't think Guild Wars to be too demanding of a game, but I also read somewhere that this particular SiS chipset basically sucks arse at any type of 3D gaming. I originally had only 256MB of memory, and I thought that tripling it would help, and it seems to do a little better, but not much.

And I also know that the answer is probably going to be that there's nothing I can do--- that will make me sad-- so I have to ask anyway. Or I guess you could say I have to plea. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Full system specs:

AMD Sempron 3000+
    768MB RAM
    128MB allotted for SiS M760GX integrated (using newest driver from SiS)
    Windows XP Home SP2

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Ok, your not going to like the answer. There are 2 video cards on the market that have always sucked. Ok, not cards, but every card the company has made. Intel and SiS. In some cases, even web rendering is slow. Theres nothing you can do. 128 megs is MORE then enough for those cards.

Sadly, the only thing I can tell you is to look for Nvidia or ATI next time you get a laptop. Since video is integrated, you cant just get a better card.

Sorry :(

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I don't suppose there is any possibility that I could buy a video card and put it into my laptop? I know you can buy the cards, but obviously you have to have somewhere to put them-- what type of slot is it that my wireless card is in? And would I have any other slots? I have looked at the hard drive, memory, processor, and wireless card, but I haven't completely taken the paneling off of my laptop to see what all secrets it holds. Probably none that are worth a dang :p

And I doubt it has an AGP slot, being as only really high-end notebooks seem to have that. And they probably don't make laptop video cards in PCI (assuming my wireless card is PCI) do they?

And one more thing... Is it possible to replace the motherboard in my laptop myself with one that does have an AGP slot? Or do laptops have some propietary architecture that is going to make me pissed off? Heh.

4. askantik

askantik Sergeant

K, I know I'm just dreaming now... But it wouldn't be possible to just remove the SiS chip and solder on a different one, would it? Such as a VIA or something like that?

And while we are discussing my POS laptop :rolleyes:

What is the difference between FAT32 and NTFS? My laptop came with a 40GB hdd and it was divided into two 17.2GB partitions in FAT32. I have heard of many people formatting to NTFS-- why? And if it is worth it, is there a way to convert to that file system without having to go through a lot of trouble (i.e. removing all of my files, programs)?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds