Well, it works.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Aimee Wilbury, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

My mom used to call me in every second week or so to remove some sorta malware from the computer. About two or three months ago, I reinstalled her OS with the following changes:

1. Installed Firefox (with the AdBlock Plus addon) and made it the default browser. Deleted the IE shortcut from the desktop, but it's still available through the Start Menu & IE Tab.
    2. Hid the M$ Office CDs (she installs the whole friggin outdated thing just for Outlook) and put Mozilla Thunderbird on her computer.
    3. Also put RogueRemover on her computer, because that's the type of malware she gets most.
    4. Would have put AVG or avast! on her computer but she insisted on Norton. oh well.

How many since then? Zero!

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Sounds like you got it whipped.

On a different note, did you ever find the game you were asking about the name of?

3. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

That surprises me. Most people I have tried to switch their computer habits resist the change. They tend to believe it's to hard to change.

4. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

My hubby is one of THOSE kind of peeps.....hates any changes to his puter :) BUT, when something goes wrong all I hear is "KATHY!!!!!!!!!!!" :-D

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Victory! :highfive

I did something very similar for my mom-in-law about a year ago, since she kept getting malware on her computer all the time, and since she's scared of changing things on it, I even took the time to install this theme on her Firefox to make it look more familiar and less scary. :)

She also insisted on Norton, so I left it on, but when Norton expired six months later, I sat her down and explained to her about free AV programs and why they are just as good or better. A lot of people distrust free applications because they are, well, free... and you get what you pay for, so it's better to pay and get something that actually works, right? Wrong!

She is using AVG now, and loves it. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds