CCleaner registry cleaner

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tnelson, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

I've read numerous posts on how safe CCleaner's registry cleaner is. We'll as safe as safe can be when compared to others.

I use ERUNT to back up my registry at start up each day. As long as I have these back ups is there any reason I should be hesitant on cleaning anything CCleaner finds in the scan?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Tnelson

No as, its not going too deep into the hives as in reality it doesnt need tol, too many registry scanner do go into areas they should not and users end up deleting things they may need by accident, so CCleaner is the safer option, also CCleaners Registry cleaner does also give you the option to backup what registry keys its deleting so you can restore them if needed.

I've used CCleaner for many many years and dont do the backups as I trust the findings it lists for removal and I give them a quick scan to see whats their anyway, but wouldnt suggest others do that, unless you know what keys its deleting and would they be needed. Also registry cleaning is only worth it if you do alot of installing and removal of apps, as any thing cleaned is not significant in speeding up your PC, also helps in troubleshooting apps by removing their old keys etc so would only do it every blue moon on a system which doesnt have many apps added or removed.

3. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

Even if the slim chance it did delete something I needed, wouldn't I be able to just recover using ERUNT or the very least the built in back-up from CCleaner?

4. DavidGP

Hi

Yes, I have not had to recover anything as yet from CCleaner, but the backups from ERUNT and CCLeaner will allow you that option.

5. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

My computer is a 4 year old Dell Dimension 3000 running XP home. I don't download a ton of software but have deleted stuff over the years. I've never run a registry cleaner on it in that time frame so I was curious as to whether it would hurt?

6. DavidGP

HI

No wont hurt at all, actually maybe good to run one on a system thats not had one run before, after that only need to run it say once every 3 months or so, to maybe mop up the old files from updates to applications or Windows.

7. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

YOu may be right about minimum performance gains from registry cleaners. I think my biggest issue is lack of RAM. At 512 MB I am really getting bogged down.

Thanks for the advice.:)

8. DavidGP

Yes 512mb is what would be min for XP will work ok but with 1GB or 2GB its much happier.

Also if your looking to give your PC a bit of a New Year pep up run this guide HERE

9. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

so would only do it every blue moon on a system which doesnt have many apps added or removed.

Halo, and it just so happens that tonight will be the first New Years Eve blue moon since 1990. So I guess it's time to run those cleaners. :-D

10. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

Yep. Done some of that already.

I use NTREGOPT as well as Auslogics Disk Defrag when needed.

I use the free scans of MBAM and SuperAntispyware to do occasional scans for spyware/malware along with Sypwareblaster for some realtime protection.

I routinely use CCleaner to clean up unnecessary files or temp files.

I usually try to clean up any installation (EXE) programs from downloaded software etc.

I've eliminated start-up apps in msconf that are not needed upon start up and that has helped some.

I'm probably doing just about everything I can for what I have. But 512 is not alot to work with, especially when using McAfee security suite and it's resource heavy apps.

11. DavidGP

Hi

Try using StartupCPL instead of msconfig as you will hit some issues* if you uninstall an app that has its startup disabled in msconfig as this app is only a troubleshooting one and not a startup manager, it also adds its own startup to your system so defeats the object slightly in minimising startups.

Will have to enable them all in msconfig then disable in StartupCPL,

*the startup of an app removed will get stuck in that msconfig list and is a pain to remove, not impossible just a pain.

Other than that you are doing steps I would take and seems like you have all this cleanup in hand, if your McAfee comes up for renewal then maybe if you want a change some of the freebie apps which are lighter on resources than McAfee may be a good change, but will cross that info on suggestions if you wish to go that route at later date, this thread guide is worth a read How to Protect yourself from malware! many of the apps for security are free.

12. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

WOW ! really appreciate all the advice. Will look into the some of the things you mentioned.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds