can't browse net.. ping ip but not address..

Discussion in 'Software' started by jetsg4, Jan 2, 2005.

1. jetsg4

jetsg4 Private E-2

xp home, dell, currently connected through linksys router with dhcp enabled, the computers owners use aol dial up to access net

i can't browse the net with it connected through my router.. all my other systems on router are connecting fine, removed all software that looked fishy, reset tcp/ip protocol, deleted cookies... still nothing..

ping times out when i ping www.yahoo.com but works perfectly if i ping their ip address...

any clues???

Thanks

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Due to the infections of SpyWare these days I would like to make sure this is not the cause. So follow below:

Make sure you have HijackThis 1.99 and follow the guidelines on where to install it and how to post a log as an attachment. This is all covered in the sticky thread NO HIJACK THIS LOG FILES BEFORE READING THIS: HJT Tutorial & LOG File Posting

Now post a current HijackThis log as a .txt file attachment to your message. All running programs should be closed, including your web browser,
    e-mail, etc; before running Hijack This!

Do NOT run Hijack This from the Desktop, a temp folder, or a sub-folder of C:\Documents and Settings, or choose to run it directly from the downloaded ZIP file. Place it in its own folder, for example C:\Program Files\HJT

3. angelicus5aok

angelicus5aok Private E-2

READ///////FIRST/////////////

turn off your router and unplug....
    reboot the computers,.,,,,

They willl find no router,,,,that's ok.

Replug router,,,,

Reboot..

Should work.

If not, check thread below, might be the problem.

Cheers.

4. 44039

44039 Private First Class

What are your DNS settings for TCP/IP? Make sure they are not pointing to AOL name servers.

Try doing an NSLOOKUP from a command prompt. Do it for both IP and NAME of yahoo.

nslookup www.yahoo.com

nslookup IP_ADDRESS_of_YAHOO

Take note as to the address of the name server that the system is using to resolve.

Since you are using DHCP, your name servers should be the ip of your router. You can try hard coding your ISP name servers instead.

Scott
    http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds