Drop-Down Menus Partially Blacked-Out

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tom K, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Tom K

Tom K Private First Class

Hey MajorGeeks!

I just started having a minor (hopefully :eek:) problem tonight. It started with IE closing twice with the message, "IE has encountered a problem and has to close..." and then small portions of the screen appeared pixelated. That seemed to resolve itself, but the current problem is not.

Whether I am using IE, in any other program, or just looking at the Desktop, when I right-click for the drop down menu, about 3/4 of it is completely blacked-out. When I scroll the mouse down the menu, each item is highlighted in blue as the mouse passes over it, and once the mouse is off the item (such as properties, select all, etc.), the text is viewable but with black borders surrounding it.

I ran a Virus Scan and a Spybot S&D Scan, but neither found any viruses or spyware.

I have screencaps of this that I would like to show you, but they are about 4 MB each so I don't know how I could attach them.

One thing I should mention because maybe it would be of help. Recently when I have visited some web sites, they say that I do not have the latest flash player installed. I have Macromedia Flash, but I checked "Program Files" and do not see a folder for Macromedia. Where else would this be?

If you know what this is and have suggestions for how I can resolve this, it would be helpful. Thank you for reading this and your assistance.

2. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Macromedia folder is Here:

Local Drive(probably C) > Windows folder > System32 Folder

However this doesn't sound like a Flash problem.

Try reinstalling your Theme.

Control Panel > Apearence and Themes > Change the computers theme.

I used to see a similar problem in Windows 98 when the system was running low on RAM. If you reboot the computer do you still have the problem?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds