Help with Rundll32.exe

Discussion in 'Software' started by soccerplayer10, May 13, 2008.

1. soccerplayer10

soccerplayer10 Private E-2

I need some serious help with rundll32.exe. After a bout with spyware, apparently rundll32.exe has been deleted. I cannot open files, as it asks me with what program to open anything. I can only go online at the moment, but only in Windows Safe Mode. System Restore does not work as it requires a program to open. I have tried the run command with sfc /scannow, that does not open either because it says "choose the program you want to open this file". I have..
    -No XP boot disc.
    -Dell 2400 Dimension Desktop

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

for restoring rundll32.exe, look for a copy in
    ..\Windows\system32\dllcache and copy this to the ..\Windows\system32
    folder. If however you deleted both you may be out of luck if you don't
    have an XP CD.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm not sure if Rundll32.exe is actually missing. I would try fixing the exe file association. Go Here and scroll to #12 and right-click and Save As to your desktop. Then right-click the file and select Merge.

Kelly's korner is safe and this will just restore defaults. It may be this simple.

4. ndmorespd

ndmorespd Private E-2

I created an account JUST so I could thank you for this suggestion... I have a work laptop that is off domain due to rights I need to have enabled... Our IT department is completely inept (I have 1 MCP license, and quit taking the exams when employment opportunities led me away from PC support) and was unable to do anything to repair a viral infection that hosed my laptop (without sending it into them across the country for 2 weeks...). After trying a few different things from at least a few different sites I found this tweak, and it worked!

Thanks Again!!!
    :hyper :clap :celebrate

5. debstep

debstep Private E-2

This is a question rather than a reply...
    I have Vista and recently the desktop icons either freeze or internet and files won't open. We have to restart to clear them and the system is a little slow.
    I defragged my files. I just added Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware this morning and ran scans. Two suspicious threats were located but they didn't show up on the final report and they are not in Quarantine.
    I have been trying to look around for anything suspicious.
    There are two rundll32 programs listed in my System Information:
    rundll32.exe c:/windows/system32/nvcpl.dll,nvstartup
    rundll32.exe c:/windows/system32/nvmctray.dll,nvtaskbarinit
    The Program names are NvCplDaemon and NvMediaCenter and they don't sound legitimate to me.
    Should they be in my Startup Programs? And if not, how do I get rid of them??
    I'm somewhat of a novice about this stuff. Please advise.

6. caveltom

caveltom Private E-2

:) Thank you soooo much. It worked like a charm.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

These are legitimate. You have an NVidia card in your computer.
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/products.html
    Whether these need to be run at startup depends how often you tweak the settings.

Google the two items to see what they do and decide if you need them running at startup.

8. 2rejoyce

2rejoyce Private E-2

Thanks so much for this "simple" fix! I feel so good now that things are OK! Now I need to do some PC cleanup!

9. DGNAMikaKaram

DGNAMikaKaram Private E-2

oh my god! thank you! your a lifesaver!

10. programmer04

programmer04 Private First Class

Will this work for Vista? I am having a serious problem with my desktop and can not open any exe files in order to start cleaning my computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds