Acer laptop boots up REALLY slowly..

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, May 28, 2006.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Hey guys, I have the Acer Aspire 3002LCi laptop. Mine came incorrectly out of the box with a 3000+ (instead of a 2800+) Sempron and a DVD-RW rather than a regular CD-RW/DVD-ROM. Woohoo!! Any way, had the computer for about a year, and as of a couple weeks ago, it's been booting up incredibly slowly. I mean sometimes it says on the Windows XP loading screen for 10-15 minutes. I have upgraded it from 256MB to 768MB of RAM (before this problem started occuring). I don't recall installing anything in particular that might cause this.

Anyone have any ideas? Running XP Home, and AFAIK I am virus/spyware/malware free. Maybe a setting in BIOS or Windows?

And one last thing-- Don't know if anyone knows this, but apparently all Acers come with 2 equal size partitions in FAT32 rather than NTFS. Is there a way to convert to NTFS (heard it's better than FAT32) and combine the partitions WITHOUT reinstalling Windows via annoying recovery discs?

My computer runs perfectly fine once Windows loads, but for whatever reason, Windows loading takes forever. And I've tried the BIOS setting to default. No effect. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Cody

2. languy99

languy99 Corporal

have you defragged the hard drive, try that. also have you changed windows in anyway, and how many programs are booting up(ctrl, alt, del look at processes after boot up), try starting in safemode does it still do it, if not i would suspect maybe a program or maybe virus, malware, tojans things like that.

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Defragging didn't help-- and running msconfig didn't show any weird processes/services at startup. I don't really even have that many programs installed on the computer and it's not been on the Internet very much. I've run a full virus scan with avast! and I've also scanned with Spybot S&D, ewido, and I have a-squared active guard on.

Like I said, it's just really weird that once Windows loads, the computer performs as fast as my desktop. I can run Photoshop, iTunes, and Firefox all at the same time with no hitch. But damn it takes forever to start the computer.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Here's what I would do to speed boot:

1. Check msconfig's startup list, and disable whatever I could.
    2. Check HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run and
    HKCU\software\microsoft\current version\run for any startup items not appearing on msconfig
    3. Check Start --> Programs --> Startup for any additional startup items
    4. Visit the disable unnecessary services thread
    5. Delete the files found in c:\windows\prefetch
    6. Run CCleaner for temp files and registry issues.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  5. languy99

languy99 Corporal

does it still do it in safe mode?

6. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

Spyware more than likely. Get AVG Free, update, and do a scan.

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Download, install and run Process Explorer.

Process Explorer. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4566

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds