do i need to upgrade my videocard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by psykojojo, Sep 18, 2004.

1. psykojojo

psykojojo Private E-2

hey whats up, im having alil trouble. my computer isnt running games too well, games like far cry, doom 3, halo combat evolved just to name afew, even on the lowest settings possible they still jump and run real funny.im no computer expert, infact ive only recent started learning bout these damn things so im just getting the basics down right now, but i thought i had a decent computer, 2.20 GHz, 3200+ athelon , after i got my computer home i upgraded my ram to 1 gb and i upgraded my video card. now im guessing that my problem is the card right? maybe it just sucks, its an Asylum 128mb, my buddy is a computer dork (no offense guys) and he said something about going to the asylum website to get drivers, but i remember downloading updates for the card when i first installed it. my buddy also says its the games im trying to play and that, basically, my computer doesnt have the balls to run them, thats not really true though because im a RPG guy (i just like playing shooters online)0 but even neverwinter acts up on me....*sigh*.....please, help this poor fool! or ill be stuck playing alice, starcraft and diablo 2 till the end of my days. I can live with the fact that i have to buy a better card if thats what has to happen, im hoping its something else though, my computer runs flawlessly....outside of playing games

2. SiLenZe

SiLenZe Private First Class

you will have to give us more information on what model card you have. Asylum Geforce XXXXXX whatever

3. psykojojo

psykojojo Private E-2

geforceFX 5200

4. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

absolutely upgrade.

that card is a TERRIBLE card for gaming, and what your seeing is completely normal for the FX5200.

if you want a nice card and are on a budget, check out the GeForce FX 5900XT or the Radeon 9800 pro. those should make doom 3 and halflife 2 playable. if you want Good performance in those games and a card that will last for the next generation of games, you will have to shell out the $350-$400 for a GeForce 6800GT.

5. psykojojo

psykojojo Private E-2

thanks a million my man, your a gentleman and a scholar

6. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Granted an FX5200 will not give you the best performance on those games, but they should run ok on the low settings. Personally, I'd recommend an upgrade as well, if you can afford it.

However, there is a trick that you can get a little better performance out of Doom 3. If you open up the Doom3.cfg (or Doom3.ini, can't remember which file it is) there is a line called "seta image_cachemegs "20"" or something like that. If you change the number to 64 or 128, it will give you a decent boost in performance.

Also, you might try upgrading your drivers here: www.nvidia.com

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds