Odd suffix attached to .pdf files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Conklin, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Conklin

Conklin Private First Class

I received several files that a friend said he sent as .pdf files. However, they arrived with the suffix, .lnk, and I could not open them. What causes this? What can I do to open files like that?

Thanks, guys!:)

bill

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

They copied a shortcut, not the actual file. The file extension "ink" is a shortcut. If they are emailing them they need to attach the file itself not a shortcut, if they are burning on a disc they need to add the file to the disc not the shortcut. That is why your files are showing "ink" instead of "pdf".

3. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Heres what google 's got to say

File Type Pantone Reference File
    File Format Image File
    Common? No
    File Description Contains color information related to a specific image file
    Program(s) that open a ink file Windows: CorelDRAW; should be kept with original image file

Maybe thathelped ya

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Think BJ is right on this and the files are just links to the main PDF, .lnk ( lowercase L not an I ) extentions are MS links/shortcut files http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=LNK

Bill are the files attached very small in size? ( typically around 4kb in size ) DO ask your friend to attach the files to an email if thats what they are doing, I suspect without looking they are copying the location into the body of the email or supplying you with a shortcut to the main file, opposed to the main original file.

or zip them up and attach to an email.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds