Diet and excercise

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Major Attitude, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Thought I would share my new diet and excercise program hoping I can motivate someone else who feels as i did, that it was impossible. This is a bit over 2 week at this point, I believe close to three.

Finally fed up with weight gain having hit 203 peak on my scale. I looked around for way to get a jump start and realized that there are no shortcuts to diet and excercise. Not healthy ones. Decided a lifestyle change was due. Or else.

No more soda, vitamin waters, only water and green tea. Spent time in store counting calories, comparing fats and watching sodium intake. Sodium is the tough one. Opted to buy as much organic food as I could and lower meat intake. After 2 weeks, I literally find most snack foods disgusting, I refuse to even look at the chip and cookie aisle, it looks like hell to me regardless of the pretty packaging. I eat a multivitam and flax muffin or health bar for breakfast. Helps me eat a more reasonable lunch and dinner. It is hard to get away from the crap on store shelves and Mcdonalds convienience. I read a book called "Fast Food Nation" which might motivate you regarding the crap you eat.

Started walking on the treadmill. I still smoke, so 10 minutes was all I could do. Then I tried the brooklyn bridge simulation on the treadmill, could not finish it. I finally finished it the next day at 45 minutes. I now do it in 25 minutes. Where 1.7 mph was all i could walk, I can now walk 2.5 mph. Heated up the room to build up a sweat. Decided to try DVD's. Found Billy Blanks Taebo. Fun. Could not complete Taebo Flex first time, second time I finished it no problem. I have purchased 7 of the Taebo DVD's now plus accessories. Taking today off because I am so sore from yesterdays workout. You might think those DVD's are crap, they are not. They will make you sweat, get good cardio and stretch muscles all in the privacy of your own home.

Next up I am going to quit smoking. Got my Chantix prescription and Nicorette and am setting April Fools day to quit because I aint no fool. Not anymore.

So, you might wonder about results. I got on the scale this morning (after eating a muffin and a cup of green tea in my belly) and saw 192.4 pounds. I cant really see it on myself yet, but my pants are starting to fall off. I remember when I first saw 195 pounds on the scale last week, something not seen in many years.

Its hard. Weight loss can be 1-2 pounds a week if done healthy, so it is easy to think you are not getting results and give up. I early on felt that way, but decided healthy living was worth it regardless of how much weight I lose. Now the results are coming in and I am more motivated then ever.

I hope I can motivate someone else with this. I now LOVE what I am doing. I continually set SMALL goals. Next up is to come in under 190 pounds consistently, something within reach by early April. After that, or at the same time, is to have my pants fall off and have to buy 34 waist instead of 36. After that is to tone up and get some ab definition, maybe even head back to my pre-marriage waist of 32, but that might be tough :)

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Well good on ya MA! Great to see people taking a healthy interest in their well-being. Wish you the very best. I have a large box of unused Nicorette gum that my husband never used when he gave up. PM me if you want me to mail it to you.

I said to my husband the other day "Hunnie - why don't you get in shape a little?" as he has also reached the 204 mark, to which he replied "Dear, round IS a shape!"

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Congrats, MA. It isn't easy starting a healthier routine.
    I have started going to the Y myself. Eating a bit healthier but not quite ready to give up cookies yet. (Darn Girl Scout Cult!)
    I'm kinda of lucky. I left off my diet and fitness stuff around October and haven't gained any, but I am still close to 15 lbs. above what I want to weigh.

New Slogan:
    MG - The leaner, meaner, healthier Geek LOL

4. Major Attitude

Night eating was huge for me. I walk on the treadmill or something as eating is usually a response to boredom for me. Last night I ate a bit much but it was peanut butter granola and grapefruit. Try a vitamin if you dont, it seems to help me fill up all day overall. Thanks for the kind words.

5. Major Attitude

Read that book i mentioned, it might change your mind about how these cookies are made. It disgusted me. It has me eating about 70% of most foods I now consume from the organic section of the local grocery store. Id kill for a whole foods store here. Downside, it costs more, but then again, preservatives and artifical flavoring are mass produced and cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Food-Nat...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205256745&sr=1-2

I cant do the gym, dont like the people, the smell or anything about it. Taebo videos are killing me, I am sore from head to toe today from doing Taebo Flex yesterday, its amazing. It just seems awkward to workout in front of your tv without gym equipment thinking it will work. It does.

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Most definitely it works! My son when he was training to play football was given by his friend who is a personal trainer two main exercises to do. They more than toned his whole body and were simple stretches and incremental timed holding positions. It needed no equipment and you could do it anywhere. He became so toned (and he is only medium build for a guy) that people asked him if he was taking steroids (which he is very much against).

7. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

Way to go Tim!

Ive been working out 3 days a week for a while now. Results are good as im trying to bulk up, but I need to hit the cardio as well to start workign on the spare tire a bit. I cannot for the life of me pass up a cookie. And beer, well, not as much as I used to drink but I can't quit that either it seems lol.

Tell me about the green tea you are drinking. Is it bottled like Lipton or are you brewing it? I don't drink sodas, maybe one a month and that is rare. I do drink between one and two liters of water a day plus coffee. Maybe its time to switch to green tea...

8. Major Attitude

No, bottled Lipton and the likes have high fructose corn syrup which I believe is evil. I drink Tazo China Green Tips or Salada and warm, rather then buy store bought. You can try Taxo at any Starbucks, I found the bags at a grocery store. I usually add a pinch of sugar now, rather then a teaspoon as well. Im not sure about the store, some of the healthy ones taste bad to me, but look for an organic store to see what they have. Its about the calories and sugar you take in and most bottled drinks tend to screw that up. I cant even drink Vitamin water anymore after reading the label :(

As for alcohol, do what i do, a glass of Whiskey and water, drink less and pass out ;)

9. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Way to go!! Fantastic!

Calltaker and I tried a Health thread last year which kinda picked up a few...but sizzled out.

You've got the right attitude (definitely no pun intended) by looking at diet (fibre for breakfast is a must for me), exercise and setting goals.

But don't knock back gyms, they have a fantastic range of equipment and some also have pools (great for water exercise), spas (for relaxing) and saunas (great after exercising and before a cold shower). Real gym people are nice people too (I'm one, so I reckon I'm a nice person;):p)

If you're really into just home exercise, that's great too...I'ld like to suggest you look at Swiss Ball Exercises - these are great for body definition.
    I have my own at home which I use all the time. And if you're into home video work outs, then definitely check this one out if considering the Swiss Ball:
    http://www.coresecrets.com.au/CoreSecrets_AU/default.aspx?2473PSEM&gclid=CMjUiLX7hZICFQgmawodDj659Q

Swiss Ball also called the Fitball: (http://www.fitball.com.au/)

Diet wise, I find the rule of parts of 5 vegies and 3 fruits a day a good way to get all the natural vitamins. And full fruit Smoothies a great alternate to a meal:)

Keep up the fabulous work!

10. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Wow, that is incredible! Congratulations!

I recently started changing the way I eat and not eating so much of it(and as most people here know, I like to eatLOL)

I agree with you he first time I did it in front of my computer I felt so silly but I absolutely love Billy Blanks dvds, they seriously do kick your butt but is so worth it when you see the results. They are good alternative for someone who cant afford to go to a gym (I think I got my dvds on ebay for like $8) or whatever their reasoning might be. You've shamed in into putting on my dvd (which I havent done in forever :eek::D)

Keep up the good work! :)

11. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Congratulations, not easy to change your life style. Check into those stop smoking scripts, heard some bad things about some of them think one was Chantix, might cause more harm then the smoking. The side affects scared me so bad I went cold turkey. I'm on my treadmill, well not enough, twice a day. It's a push for sure. Good luck,
    [​IMG]

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Sounds like you are doing the right thing Major Attitude. Except for the quitting smoking part. Note, my opinon only, I wish you the best in this aspect. Using a drug to quite is the wrong way in my experience. Once you stop smoking, then you have to get off the drug, drags it out.

I tried Nicorete(sp) Wellbutrin(sp on that also :D) Just did not do it for me.

I quit smoking May 17 last year. Cold Turkey. It sucked for about a week. I was out applying for jobs on the first day I quit, and that is one thing I really hate. I recommend just quiting on your own. Put 'em down and deal with the nicotine devil. 72 hours... long hours. But then it is pretty much done, after that, you are pretty much fighting a habit.

Just my 2¢ worth. Regardless of how you quit, I hope you make it. I feel so much freaking better now! You can do it!

E

13. Natakel

Natakel Guest

I second the idea of setting small goals - I think a lot of people get frustrated with trying to lose weight and get in shape because they have unrealistic expectations. I know I used to.

Now, if I lose at least 5 pounds a month, I'm happy. All the stuff I've read about dieting indicates it's better to lose weight slowly and gradually.

Night eating (well, night for me) was a problem for me also - I'd get off work and chow down, then go to bed . . . well, I've knocked that habit, and it's helping.

Congratulations, Major! Sounds like you are squared away. good luck on the smoking issue. I've been a non-smoker since Dec 2002, and if I can do it anybody can - I've got the willpower of a monkey with a cupcake . . . LOL

14. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

way to go MA if you feel it yourself you need to get the weight off then it's time to do something about it.

i have been in a chair for a few years and with a number of operations it has been difficult to do any real exercise but now i am upright again i am beginning to do some gentle work to try and get my muscles back.

one of my big problems is smoking i have too much time on my hands (and no willpower) i stopped for 4 months and then restarted that was done with Champix it really works but you need to have the will to stay off cigarette's after the course of meds.

best of luck in the challenge ahead and i hope you reach your goal.

15. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Good for you MA! Don't depend on the scale too much especially if you start weight training as muscle is heavier than fat. You could be gaining pounds but losing inches. I'll also agree with you all on all this dieting crap that's being pushed is just that, crap! Keep the money in your pocket and spend it on better food. Now get off the computer and get cracking.:D

16. Major Attitude

I did hypnotism, wellbutrin nicorrete as well. Chantix is the new miracle drug. Take a week before you quit, usually 3 weeks tops after. I know people who smoked 40 years and walked away. My brother in law smokes so badly, he wakes up in the middle of the night to smoke!!! He quit immediately.

17. darlene1029

18. Major Attitude

19. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

NO, it can't be true! Cookies ARE good!! The Girl Scouts told me so. LOL

On the serious side, eating healthier and with smaller portions, does help you to lose weight. Considering the only real exercise I have had in the last four months was snow shoveling, I can say that eating wiser has kept me from gaining weight. I used to cover my veggies with butter, now it's just a bit of salt and pepper.
    Keep at it! :major

20. Major Attitude

Im with you my old friend. Im at a crossroads now, I believe. 2 and a half weeks and losing 10 pounds was "easy" because I made the diet changes, excercise and can see it on the scale. NOW, i need to see it on my waist and body and fat burning and toning will take time, so I expect the next month to be slow. No problem now, I commited to a life change. Maybe ill send pictures in a few months ;)

And watch that salt intake!!

21. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Don't know if you know this, but if you can exercise in the morning, before you eat anything, you will burn fat more efficiently than any other time of day. Not only that but it increases your metabolism early in the day, so even when you are done working out, your body continues to burn at a higher rate than usual, even when you are just sat BSing with Jim ;) This is all about your glycogen levels being low first thing and before you eat.

22. Major Attitude

Interesting, will research. I know people who go to the gym before work at 5 am so assumed there was a reason. I am usually excercising post lunch. Morning is a vitamin and granola bar while working because my first 3-4 hours are all Majorgeeks. Then its 12-1 so lunch, I could feel it shaking around today, lol!!

I maight have a tough time doing a morning workout.

23. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

24. darlene1029

Oh I realize that, thats why I turn down most of prescriptions the doctors try to dole out. I think most of them are practicing medicine via the pharmaceutical companies.

As for #2 that was the only article I saw that expressed the down side of the drug, I first saw the warning on the news, (yeah another great source of information huh)
    Myself, I'm freaky about taking most anything, didn't mean to be offensive.

25. Major Attitude

Oh, I am sorry, was not offended at ALL! :) Was just commenting, its sad no matter what it is, someone and a lawyer is waiting in the wings, you know?

26. darlene1029

Ok, good, Yes I've been saying it's going to reach the point one day when their TV ads will say, "if you have ever taken medicine or visited a doctor in your life, contact the law offices of so and so" :D

27. Major Attitude

Nah, believe it or not, it takes a lot more to offend me. My real problem is honesty. I tell ya what I think and sometimes people mistake that for anger, etc.

Side note, saw 192 today, very happy. Have not seen that since I can remember, Tough, it will slow down now as I burn the "spare tire" ie, fat burning. Im good with it, extra videos should be here soon. Smoking quit date is April 1, i thought it was fitting. Hope to have gone from 203 to 180 by the end of April, about 8 weeks, but know it might not happen. Decided 175 is my bottom, roughly. Since weight fluctuates 5 pounds or so, hitting a bottom of 175 should be good. I noticed my back bothers me less already.

28. darlene1029

Me too, staying home with kids makes you brutally honest. I astounded people once my children were grown and I entered the work force. One of my bosses asked me , why would you confess?? I told her perhaps I did it, In reality everyone was shakin' like Chihuahuas.

29. darlene1029

Hey, big guy, WTG, think I'll catch up with you soon. :( I've been on steroids so long I can only wear sweats, bummer in the summer. Strange for someone who has to struggle to maintain 100 plus.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  30. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Way to go Major Attitude! Good luck!

31. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I joined a gym last night.

Can I be in the healthy life-style thread too now? :D

32. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Good stuff MA, I wish you well on your health quest, its when you get to a "certain" age that you have to step back a touch and think of your health and wellbeing, as one thing scared me in that I now have a deskjob and dont do the amount of excercise I used to in my last job, so starting to add some curves to my mid parts! need to get slightly more fitter to curb the risk of getting type II diabetes that is rife in the world at present, in part due to your diets and sitting behind a PC or games console.

SO good luck with the giving up smoking, once over the hurdle many friends of mine who have given up say that you will feel much better ( me never smoked ).

33. Major Attitude

Thanks for the well wishes. Saw 190 yesterday, first time ever, I am not really seeing it much, but my wife says it is noticeable. Some definition and toning is appearing in my upper and side ab area, pretty cool. I think smoking wont be so hard this time. I stopped ingesting tons of fast food, soda, sugars and salt, so at some point I have to remind myself that I am only ingesting ONE poison still. Thats the mindset I am going in with.

See ya again at 185 :)

34. darlene1029

Other people can always see a difference before you see it your self. I might catch you, been putting on weight but mine is from steroids, still trying to get the lungs cleaned out, smoked for 40 years :foolish Hang in there!

35. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I subscribe to a Seefood diet. I see food, then I eat it. Of course, I also live in a 24 hour snack household. If it's still there after 24 hours, it's probably stale.

36. DeviceDemon

DeviceDemon Private First Class

i've tried to do the same. i stopped buying snacks, and cut out unnecessary things like soda, mayonnaise, ketchup, and other things you normally would use without thinking. i also started walking to the metro station to get to work in the mornings. good luck with your progress!

37. darlene1029

So how is it going ?

38. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Way to go MA! I'm going to start making some changes myself. I've really let myself go and I don't like it. I need to eat better, get more exercise and get on a regular sleeping schedule. I've already given up all soft drinks for two months already but now I gotta start on a few other things. I'm setting small goals for myself. Starting tomorrow, I weigh in, and come to reality with my weight and what I need to do. :)

39. 8Ball

8Ball Specialist

Great Job MA!!!

My Mom and I (haha I know) have been going to the gym for about a month and a half about 5 out of 7 days a week at 4:30am. It's awesome. Most people are stunned when I tell them what time I get up, but its so easy. You dont even think about it after a while. In the month and a half I have lost 15lbs, but have gained so much more. Keep up the good work sir. :)

If anyone is in the Madison WI area the Princeton Club is where its at. They have nice people, nice machines, a nice pool, hot tube, and wet and dry sauna. Amazing.

40. brainbone

brainbone Private E-2

...to stay on topic I will say that "While I was dieting and exercising...I noticed a message at the bottom left corner of my browser window saying.. "If you can read this-Please PM Major Attitude."...Consider yourself 'PMd'...though I was unable to ACTUALLY do so. Have a great day, from brainbone, Dallas, Texas."

41. Capucina

Capucina Private E-2

I buy green tea in diffuser? different tastes - mango, jasmine, lemon...
    No tea bags, as you know there you may find junk tea only - the rest of real one. Lipton in bottles - it's chemistry with the taste of green tea :) I like Greenfield.
    I advise you to drink more water and fresh juices - I love pear, (pine)apple, orange one... You may mix them. I have a habit to get up earlier to do a fresh juice - it's my breakfast. And if I want to eat at night time - I drink it too. Nothing will happen if you drink a cup before sleeping. That's why I love fresh juices - healthy in any time.

42. darlene1029

Green tea makes me nauseous. I thought it was me until I read the forums on Dr. Weil's site and found some people throw up from it.

43. brainbone

brainbone Private E-2

44. Capucina

Capucina Private E-2

Thanks, brainbone! I've never heard about Matcha before. I will find it in supermarket and try. Tell me, please what EGCG mean?

darlene1029, clear green tea makes me nauseous too, but I've said that I choose it with different tastes, like mango, jasmine, mint, lemon. I add a bit of honey and voila - I like it.

45. brainbone

brainbone Private E-2

The EGCG/catechins in the green tea is probably what causes nausea in some people...but it can be remedied by startiong out with a very weak tea and building up the strength..well worth the effort.

Science Daily and the Mayo Clinic have a lot of great information available. Here is a great article from Medical News Today: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/53704.php

Now researchers from the National institute of Chemistry in Ljubljana, Slovenia discovered that the main ingredients of green tea are able to perform other tricks. They found out that green tea catechins inhibit essential bacterial enzyme DNA gyrase, which is the target of several existing clinically used drugs. By the use of NMR spectroscopy, researchers from Slovenia have now pinpointed the ATP-binding site of DNA gyrase as target of EGCG, the most abundant catechin from the green tea extract. Up to now several compounds targeted against the ATP-binding site of bacteria gyrase have been known but couldn't be used as drugs due to their side effects on mammalian cells.

Lead researcher Roman Jerala, the head of the Laboratory of Biotechnology at NIC explains: "We can anticipate to avoid the problem of toxicity using the compounds based on the green tea catechins, which have centuries of established safety record in the human diet."

This finding may be used to develop even more potent antibacterial compounds. Results were recently published in the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.

46. Capucina

Capucina Private E-2

Thank you a lot. Now It's more clear what EGCG mean.The article is really great.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds