CD Rom wlill not work w/ boot disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vpoche, Nov 14, 2004.

1. vpoche

vpoche Private E-2

Look after problems and getting ya'll help fixing tem, i probably messed something up. anyway I am trying to start from scracth. I have a xp os. I tried the 6 disk boot, failed because i\of missing or corrupt files. I tried several different downlaods of tis. my cd rom is first on my boot in bios. and you see it trying to work first the light comes on but I do not think it is spinning. i have a samsung cd rom rw 224b, if this helps. well windows will not start even in safe mode c\because i am missing a file windows\system32\config\system, i went to windows support and found te fix but i need to get to the recovery console, i tried using 98 boot disk because it said i could get to it from there but i do not know how to do this. simply i need to fix this file then try to get cd rom working so i can reinstall xp. thanks for anyone help in advance.

2. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Hi,

Boot from the 98 boot disk then select, boot with cdrom support, this will load generic drivers for the cdrom. Put your xp cd in and at the prompt type D/ setup then you will be able to get to recoverl console.

Rick

3. vpoche

vpoche Private E-2

I got my computer working from the 98 boot disk finally but still can not use the cd rom. the cd rom will burn cd's but just won't recognize cd's with media on them, cold this be a cache problem, I do not know what this is but I read somewhere and I thought this could be the problem. Or some config.sys file incorrect, I went to manfac. website and they said to make sure my config setting were correct and I do not know how to get to this.

4. Doby

Doby Sergeant

The only thing I can think of is to try and reinstall the drivers.

Rick

5. vpoche

vpoche Private E-2

I tried, did not work, thinking it is a registry problem typed that search in google found some help, but still did not work with changes. I also read that it could be virus related checking on that. thanks for help, i'll keep you posted.

6. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Maybe bad drive and just can't read

7. vpoche

vpoche Private E-2

Thanks for your help, I told a computer friend and he is suppose to come look at it and bring a new cd rom drive, but he thinks it might be a software proble. What software is associated with my cd rom?

8. Chelle

Chelle Private E-2

This seems similiar to a problem I am having. A few days after burning a cd in my Samsung cd-rw drive, I tried to write some files to a disk for a backup. After inserting the disk, the light flashed several times below the tray. No spinning was heard and I never received the "busy" icon on my desktop. I checked the device manager for my drive and it said "device is working properly" I went and inserted a purchased music cd to try and rip music and again, no spinning was heard. When I went back to the Windows Media Player, I saw on the left hand side it said cd-r dive is busy. Someone said I may have a bad cable or need a new drive. Can that be a possibility when the device manager says that it is working properly? Does anyone have any suggestions on what might have happened?

9. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

How did you edit the registry if Windows will not boot???

10. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Chelle,
    This may or may not fix your problem, but it is worth a try, as I read in another post that it fixed the same problem for another member. Go to Device Manager, select your cdrw and delete it. Reboot your computer and Windows will find it while booting and reinstall it. Hope this helps :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds