IP Addresses.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pompeylol, Apr 13, 2009.

1. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

Both my computers keep disconnecting from the internet. They both disconnect at exactly the same time and both connect the same time.

The connection dies for 2-3 seconds then re-connects itself within another 2-3 seconds.

Went into my router settings and found the 2 computers on my network have 2 different IP addresses, could this be causing the disconnects?

I've got 2 pc's on my network;

Ip Address; 192.168.2.4 Host name: home-3f2dae9mlz MAC Address: 00:04:E2:56:BF:9B
    Ip Address; 192.168.2.2 Host name: home-1jb298vqn8 00: MAC Address: 1C:DF:C5:A5:79

Anybody know why i could be disconnecting and reconnecting within few seconds?

2. Techeads

Techeads Private E-2

Looks like you have a 4 port router and the IP addresses are OK.
    Did this just start happening? Did you ever use Dial-up? Do you have more than one connection per computer, ie: 10-100MB or 100-1000MB network cards?

3. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

I'm not very computer savvy to do with networking and stuff.

How do i found out about the network card info?

Yeah it's started happening the past week or so, I've had the wireless modem router for about 6 months and it was perfect before this week i never had connections issues.

The thing i find strange since it's been happening i haven't changed nothing from the computer settings or router settings so it's just happened by itself.

I've never had Dial-up, always been broadband.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  4. Techeads

Techeads Private E-2

Right click on the network icon near the clock in the task bar. (Or, select network from the start menu or program manager) Select 'Local Area Connection Status' then the 'Support Tab'. Then select the details button.

Can you access the router with IE? If you can, check out the stats and details of your setup for a 'time-out' or 're-try' to connect settings. you might be shutting down by timming out.
    Also, most ISP (ie Verizon, Cox, ATT) push changes directly to your router and can over ride or change your settings. Once you gain access to the router, turn OFF remote admin and change the password (usually admin or 'blank') to limit access to your router.

5. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

Ok, i accessed this.. Gives me Physical address, IP Address, Subnect mark etc.

What did you need to know from the Details?

Ok i entered into the routers settings and i made my own password for the router. There is a setting that says Login timeout (10).

I can't find the setup for "time-out" or "re-try" settings in the router.

Also, i couple days ago i undone the whole network and took away the wireless modem router and just put the mains broadband wire into my pc and i didn't get disconnected all day so i know the reason i'm disconnecting is due to my router i just don't know why.

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

sounds to me like the router is reinitializing itself every couple of seconds. take one machine off of the router and see what happens. then take the other machine off of the router and see what happens.

7. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

Jconstan, this you mean put the wired connection into the pc and put the usb adapter onto the other machine then swap the wired to the other pc then the usb adapter to the other pc. Ifso, i've done this and the problem persists.

8. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I mean, connect only one machine at a time. If each one, while connected, does the same thing then it has to be a problem with the router.

9. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

Oh ok, i'll try the other PC.

But this pc connected by itself with the wired connection stays connected without disconnected but i'll try the other pc tomorrow. Thank you.

10. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

I put the wired connection into both PC's now with the network undone and both PC's ran games without disconnecting at all.

I think i'm just going to buy a new wireless modem router.

11. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Can you explain what this means? Do you mean with the wireless network undone or something else?

12. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

Sorry, yes i mean there was only one computer connected to the broadband via the wired cable.

The wireless modem router was switched off.

13. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

So, as I'm understanding it you work OK with both computers wired to the router but wireless gives you a problem from each computer, correct?

Is your wireless network secure? Is it possible that another machine close to you could be utilizing your wireless connection????

14. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

I've got 20mb cable broadband with a ISP modem, with the wired connection from the ISP modem into my computer the internet works like a dream not one disconect all day the same if i put the wired connection into the other PC so i know it's nothing to do with the network cards on each machine or it's nothing to do with my ISP or the ISP modem.

My wireless connection is encrypted with WPA-PSK.

What does this mean;

IP Address Host Name MAC Address
    192.168.2.2 home-3f2dae9mlz 00-1C-DF-C5-A5-79
    192.168.2.3 steve-5oki6s9bw 00-04-23-66-E4-12
    192.168.2.4 NintendoDS 00-23-31-D3-98-83
    192.168.2.5 iPhone-5 00-21-E9-2A-2E-D7
    192.168.2.6 ANDYHOME 00-40-2B-60-26-FE

This is on DHCP Client List.. how can i have these people on my network when i should only have 2 people myself and one other. I don't have nintendoDS in my house or iphone and i don't know who Andy is.

Is this to do with what Wireless channel i'm using and could having all these unknown people on my network causing the disconnects? Only problem i see with this is why it's only just started happening when it's been ok for 6 months.

15. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

It certainly would appear that three other machines are using your wireless connection. Can it have something to do with your disconnects.....yes. Could you have reset your router by using the hard reset and not reconfigure the security afterwords?

16. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

What kind of router is it? Does it have several lan ports?

17. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

This is my router;

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=272220

I tried Resetting the modem with a pin and it reset the whole thing and that didn't work.

You wouldn't believe this but today, my brother came home and wanted to use the internet too so i connected the wireless modem and now my internet SSID is Coventry_net when my SSID should be Belkin_morris ... and for past 4-5 hours i havn't disconnected once... i check all the settings in the router and they are different to what i set all mine so it appears i'm in somebody elses wireless router and my internet is fine.. we both playing games and my ping is 47. It's working perfectly again lol

I don't know what to do, should i keep all the settings and stay on this network? I didn't tell my machines to connect to this network it did it automatically. :confused

18. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I'm sorry but I am confused. You said you reset the modem with a pin, do you mean the router? If you reset the router then all of your settings would be reset to default INCLUDING the SSID. So, your machine would not find your network because of the new name and would seek out other ones. That's why you are connected to Coventry_net, which appears to be unsecured. Let your conscience be your guide BUT eventually that person will secure his network and you will not be able to get on and left with your original problem.

19. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

Yeah, you're right. When i came on today obviously his network was offline and i had to setup mine again. I'm getting the same problem and i got this today;

Network Timeout

The server at 192.168.2.1 is taking too long to respond.

Strangely i'm not getting disconnected as much but now i'm getting lag spikes when gaming.

20. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

Also, in my router in the security log i get this..

Log File

System log:

Get IP Address 82.14.2.119 From DHCP Server => Wed Apr 15 07:15:13 2009

WAN Connection Disconnected => Wed Apr 15 07:15:12 2009

Get IP Address 82.14.2.119 From DHCP Server => Wed Apr 15 06:40:16 2009

WAN Connection Disconnected => Wed Apr 15 06:40:15 2009

Get IP Address 82.14.2.119 From DHCP Server => Wed Apr 15 06:15:29 2009

WAN Connection Disconnected => Wed Apr 15 06:15:28 2009

Get IP Address 82.14.2.119 From DHCP Server => Wed Apr 15 06:09:06 2009

WAN Connection Disconnected => Wed Apr 15 06:09:05 2009

Get IP Address 82.14.2.119 From DHCP Server => Wed Apr 15 05:58:24 2009

21. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Interesting......lets try this.

connect to the router and get status on the WAN link. Copy down the IP address which you already know as 82.14.2.119, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS servers. Then configure your router's wan port for a static address and plug in the addresses you copied down. See if you can stay connected for longer than 10 minutes.

I'm also wondering why your router keeps asking for an IP address. Is this a service that you are currently paying for?

22. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

When i logged into the router settings, i checked for firmware update and it said none are available. I went and searched on the internet and it seemed lots of people was having the same problems with this exact model of router and majority of them went and bought a new one but i actually found a firmware update from October last year and i actually bought the router before October so i assumed this could be an update of firmware so i tried it anyways.

My Hardware was actually; Hardware F5D9230-4 v5000 and now it's Hardware F5D9230-4 v5111 So it's actually changed so i'm assuming that there was actually a firmware update although the router said there wasn't. It seemed I've had no disconnect problems yet and i can see no other computers/laptops on my network that shouldn't be there.

Only thing i have seen which is different to the other security log before the firmware update is this;

Found Syncflood attack from 82.228.44.201 in port 445 => Wed Apr 15 17:15:00 2009

Found Syncflood attack from 82.14.194.46 in port 135 => Wed Apr 15 17:16:32 2009

Found Syncflood attack from 203.177.213.139 in port 135 => Wed Apr 15 17:17:02 2009

Found Syncflood attack from 82.6.181.179 in port 135 => Wed Apr 15 17:17:32 2009

Found Syncflood attack from 82.13.122.134 in port 135 => Wed Apr 15 17:18:02 2009

Found Syncflood attack from 82.14.194.46 in port 135 => Wed Apr 15 17:19:03 2009

Found Syncflood attack from 121.15.245.215 in port 3128 => Wed Apr 15 17:24:43 2009

And it goes on for a very long page, is this a big problem?

Also, big thanks to Jconstan for being patient with me and helping me out with ideas.

23. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

There are always folks and systems scanning the internet and some have malicious intent. The firewall portion of your router is reporting that your IP address is being scanned. If your firewall is rejecting them then that should be ok. I'm now wondering if you are the victim of a DOS attack and that's why your router is resetting. Does the new firmware help your problem?

24. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

Sure has, so happy. I downloaded a 2GB test file and internet didn't time out once it downloaded the whole thing pretty quickly. Internet been on all day and not one disconnect. I checked my system log and there is no WAN Connection Disconnect etc.

It's quite amusing that when you go into your router settings and click "Check for firmware update" that it comes back saying there isn't none yet if you search manually you find one and the problem is totally sorted. To me, seems bit of a scam; "Oh, my wireless modem router is screwed, stopped working let's go buy a new one".

Lol, thanks Jconstan.

25. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Well good. I'm glad it worked out. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds