Computer Tweaks

Discussion in 'Software' started by eclayton, Jan 26, 2004.

1. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

I wrote the following blurb for our in-house network users, many of which know absolutely nothing about maintainance. I plan on adding info on Disk Cleanup and Disk Defrag at some point... Just wanted to get ya'lls input on this, and any corrections, suggections, clarifications, etc are most welcome!

Let's Talk Computers!!
    Does it seem that your computer has slowed down in performance and speed? Did you know that there is more to do to maintain your system than simply Disk Cleanup and DeFrag? Over time, Spyware, Registry Key Errors, Bugs from newer software that isn’t completely compatible with older software, clogged memory, etc, can gum up the system.

Here are some tools that you can download and start running on your computer for little or no cost. If they are not free, I have specified the price. I have included a rough definition, but go to MajorGeeks.com for a real education, or look it up on Webopedia for a real definition!!

Why are these tools free? Some of these programs are for personal and home computers, and they have a version for the professional that may run a network at a corporation, and those professional programs cost. In some cases, it’s just because there are folks out there like you and me that enjoy finding fixes for things and sharing them with others. J

Why is all this important? In the area of viruses and performance, we all affect each other on our network, so each machine needs to be updated, and in good running condition. If one computer gets a virus, it’s highly possible that others will. Please learn how to update and maintain your computer.

Bugs, Quirks, Glitches, etc
    - When things don't run smooth, when error messages come up, when strange things happen, etc. Sometimes as new programs come out, or programs are updated, the other programs develop problems that also have to be updated and corrected. Big Fix does this automatically by checking for security holes, bugs, etc, and then finding things called "fixlets" for Windows. Most the time you only need to click a mouse and it's done. This will also help protect you against the threat of viruses. Very nice program, get it here:
    BigFix
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=677

Virus, Trojan, Worm, etc
    - Things that wreck stuff on your computer! Usually received thru email attachments, but can also be placed on your system in other ways, such as through security flaws in your operating system (Windows). You can protect yourself several ways. One way is to never open email attachments when you aren't sure they are from someone you know. (Just because you recognize the sender doesn't mean he sent it, Viruses can send themselves thru a persons address book without that person's knowledge) Also, keep your operating system up to date with all the latest patches and updates. And, you can download the following tool for free, and let it do its thing. Make sure you set it to get automatically updated everyday, that it scans everyday, and that it runs in the background when your computer is on.
    AVG 6.0 Free Edition
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=886

Registry
    - The Registry is like a system's genetic map. In a way, it is like the area where the computer components talk to each other. To quote Webopedia, "A database used by the Windows operating system (Windows 95 and NT ) to store configuration information." When the Registry Keys become damaged or have errors, it can drastically slow down your computers performance. You can clean out damaged keys with the following tools
    RegCleaner 4.3
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=460
    RegSupreme, shareware, 12.95
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4001

Spyware
    - Software that covertly gathers user information through the user's Internet connection without his or her knowledge, usually for advertising purposes. It monitors user activity on the Internet and transmits that information in the background to someone else. Spy ware can also gather information about e-mail addresses and even passwords and credit card numbers.
    Spy ware, or Adware, as it is also known, uses memory and system resources, and can lead to system crashes or general system instability. (One person here in the ministry had a computer that would not even turn on or off properly, and would totally freeze up. When we removed the spyware, it ran great.) You can get it from pop up ads, downloads, web pages, etc.
    For a tool that cleans out all of that and restores your system one, five, or ten steps closer to running like new, download the following tool:
    Ad-Aware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=506
    In order to update your program, you will need to click on “Check for updates now”, then Configure, then check the box under Proxy Settings that says Use HTTP Proxy, and type in proxy.jpusa.net as the address, and 3128 as the port. (You will only have to do this once) Then click connect, and Ad-Aware will update.

Spam
    -Unsolicited garbage that you receive on your email. One way you can protect yourself from Spam is to never give your email address out over the Internet. Instead, get a dummy email address and use that over the Internet, and only give your real email address to family and trusted friends. And, you can download Mail Washer. Compose Friends Lists, Blacklists, and view email in text-only form before downloading it to your hard drive, thereby also protecting yourself from viruses. Get it here.
    Mail Washer
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2054
    These programs are also very good.
    Spam Bully for Outlook
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2867
    Shareware, 29.95, group rates available. This has worked great for Cindy and I.
    Spam Bully for Outlook Express
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3048
    Shareware, 29.95, group rates available

Special note for the Bounce feature on these Anti-Spam programs:
    PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS FEATURE! Some of these programs offer a feature that will bounce email back to the sender, as if you didn’t exist. Most of the spam comes from bogus addresses, and in turn, gets bounced back to our server, creating an endless loop that really messes things up. So, do not use the bounce feature.

Major Geeks
    - If you’ve read this far, you may qualify! J Check out the site below. This place is great for getting questions answered, and for getting all the above downloads. I learned lots of important stuff there, and was even able to get to a point to answer a few questions other people had, but mostly I just read and learn. Check it out!
    Major Geeks.com
    http://majorgeeks.com/

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Sounds about right to me Eric :)

I think you have covered all the bases, one thing I do want to ask you is will all the PCs on your network be using or are you trying to get them to use the same programs?

Personally I would try as best as I could to get all using the same programs especially the AV plus this app has for me vastly removed spyware cookies etc etc from my system where now only 1 or 2 items are picked up by AdAware,

SpywareBlaster http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2859

3. eclayton

The download link wasn't working for some reason.....I'll give SpywareBlaster a go, but AdAware picks up loads of spyware for me, plue it updates almost everyweek....Spybot doesn't seem to update very often, so I hardly even mess with it anymore.

I do think it would be great if everyone used the same programs, that way we could all offer assistance to eachother as we learn. But, I think alot of the folks on our network won't even bother to read most of what I've written. :rolleyes: :(

I'm not the System administrator or anything, so I have no clout to force people to use any of these programs, but our administrator was very glad I put that stuff together...he's a Mac/Linux user, so he's not super knowledgeable with PCs.

4. DavidGP

The BTN link is working ok for spywareblaster..... what it does it not allow any of the spys or browser hijacks to be installed in the first place, I use this small app that doesnt even have to run in the background or scan anything as my 1st line of defence with Ad-Aware as the clean up crew.. Spyware blaster updates around twice a week on average.

IMO its their loss if they dont read your tips on a safe computing experience, I would be tempted to post a few on any notice boards you have or even if their are not to many to print post them to all the other users... even if your only get 1 or 2 users taking your GREAT tips up you have suceeded :)

5. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

good work eclayton
    and like halo said if you get through to just 1-2 people then it was all worth it

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

maybe you could stick a CD together with all the programs listed there, that way they can all have the same programs :)

Good info.. :D

7. eclayton

I got Spyware Blaster working now! (I had gone to BTN and it worked fine) But boy am I blind! I checked all the boxes in red MANUALLY, one at a time, because I failed to see the "Select All" button! :rolleyes: I updated, and checked the new ones manually as well! It was only then that I found the Select All button....I'll just consider all that clicking as my daily dose of excercise! :D

I'm running Ad-Aware now to clean up the remnants. Thanks for the hints, Halo! I'll probaby add SpywareBlaster to the info.

As far as folks on our network, well, some are just too plain busy to learn all of this, and others are just not up for it! But we posted it on our main network page, so there it is! I hope it helps a few people.

8. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Eric,

What about network security? Do you have a Firewall?

9. eclayton

Yep, our admin has taken care of that. Hence, I'm very unfamiliar with personal firewalls, since we don't need them.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

PS Maxwell, I love your avatar!! :)

10. eclayton

Halo,

Thanks for the info on this...I LIKE THIS PROGRAM! I installed it yesterday, and ran Ad-Aware today, and it only caught one spyware file! NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!! :D Thanks again, I'm adding that puppy to my list of "Must Haves".

11. DavidGP

I thought you might like that program Eric :)

It removes all the common mass spys from ever being installed in the first place thus allowing Ad-Aware to mop-up the stragglers.

yep IMO a must have as it consumes no resources!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds