Games Minimize and Web browser de-selects

Discussion in 'Software' started by Butchtaylor909, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Butchtaylor909

Butchtaylor909 Private E-2

Whenever I'm in a fullscreen game it minimizes on its own. When I'm in a browser such as firefox the program gets deselected and I'll have to click on
    the firefox window to reselect my browser. this seems to be at random

On games the programs will minimize completely, and on ALL other types of windows it just de-selects itself at random.

My OS is Vista Ultimate 64bit and it is only just been re installed,(20hours ago) only been on internet to download sofware updates,(which it is still doing, was fine prior to the first lot of updates for vista) and Firefox.

I use USB mouse & Keyboard.
    i currently run two machines through a KVM switch, but have even tried to run it with out incase that was the problem, but no luck.
    have tried using my old ps/2 mouse and keyboard, no change.

this has been re-posted from the malware thread as i have been told it is NOT malware related.

also have been to the NVidia website and have got the most current Driver for my gfx card (used everest home to get website)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

There must be some hot key combo that you are not aware of that is doing the minimizing when the keys are pressed.

To test my theory, do this: open Firefox and walk away. Don't use the computer, and be sure not to touch the keyboard. Come back later and check if FF is still maximized. If it is, I suspect it is a hotkey. Now, the problem will be to try and discover what key(s) trigger the minimize.

3. Butchtaylor909

had tried that before i posted.
    its games that minimize EVERY other type of window just de-selects (even the start menu has done it)
    some times it will do it every few seconds and some times it can be minutes or more.
    have restored my comp back a few hours prior to some updates and it is more stable but still de-selects, have not run DOW2 yet to try that yet.(main game i am playing atm)

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Odd, very odd. Try a Linux live CD and see if it also has the same issues.

5. Butchtaylor909

have sorted it out by using this old link i had for XP.

Go here and scroll down to line Line 66 Right hand side.
    Click "Prevent programs from stealing focus"

Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As).
    Double click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

I have posted this so that if anyone else gets the same problem, and bothers to use the search function it will help them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds