slow file transfers over intranet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aikox2, Jul 20, 2005.

1. aikox2

aikox2 Private E-2

I have five pcs on my LAN, all with static assigned ips (no DHCP). Four Win2K, one XP. It is an ethernet setup through a Linksys 8-port router and cable modem (TWC). When I transfer files from my (win2k) pc to the XP box, it is painfully slow, even if they are VERY large files (4 - 10 gig files).

I have Sygate Personal Firewall on my Win2K box, and have tried to configure an advanced rule to allow for this, but nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts on DHCP v static, and any idea on how to configure the rule to allow this traffic to move faster (or anything to speed things up).

Thanks,
    Scott

2. aikox2

aikox2 Private E-2

Nevermind

D'oh. It seems that I changed an Ethernet Card properties value to force 100 MB Full Duplex rather than autodetect, and that was causing the slowdown.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I am very dangerous.

Sorry for the WOB.

Scott

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds