Newbie to GAMES

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Nov 21, 2009.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok. I know very little about this stuff, but my 8 yr-old would like a PS3 (Slim?) for Christmas (and I'm hoping Santa will deposit the $300-or-so in my checking account :-D ) - so what do I need to know - please?

Do these typically come with two controllers, and all the necessary cables...please?

Any (and all other) other tips/advice/suggestions/comments ARE welcome ~ please.

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Don't know about 3, but PS2 came with all cables,1 controller, and a memory card.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you. I suppose the reason I ask is that there seems to be a considerable gap in pricing online.

The first one I looked at was about $300, and then I saw one on ebay closer to $400 - but the 2nd one comes with an extra controller and an HDMI cable.

Questions: 1) Are these PS3's for two people (seemingly unlike the PS2 he already has), and, 2) can't an HDMI cable be had fairly inexpensively ($10 or so)? Oh, also, the HDMI cable is for better graphic display - correct?

Thanks again, and in advance...

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok here's where I'm at with this.

The basics appear to be the console itself (obviously), with an extra controller and an HDMI cable.

How "necessary" are the "extras" such as "chargers" a "cooling system". etc., etc., etc.??

And BTW - do these HDMI cables "need" to be "Gold" to get the full benefit of them?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Since I have been the very happy owner of a PS3 for a couple of years now, let me make a couple of comments :) Starting with extreme bitterness that they now include HDMI cables... Mine didn't come with one and I had to buy that extra before I could get the full 1080p glory. :crybaby

Yes, the HDMI cable is to transfer the high-quality graphics signals to your TV. Note that if your TV can't do 1080p due to not supporting it, plugging in a cable that can won't make a lick of difference. Your display specs are your bottleneck.

Now for the comments. :)

First off, as long as the cable packaging says "HDMI" the cable itself doesn't have to be either "gold", "PS3 certified", or have any other catchy marketing phrase on it. However, as with any other electronic component, if you have the option to buy an established and reputable brand cable at a reasonable price, then do so, since the parts it is made of will be of higher quality. My HDMI cable is a Sony-brand one, since it was the exact same price as the no-name brand next to it and Sony hardware tends to be very reliable.

Second, the PS3 comes with a fully free online interactive network... PSN, the online store, and free multi-player. Since your kid is only 8, read the console manual and learn how to use the parental control functions. There are things out there that a child of that age simply should not be exposed to, and several of them are completely free to download and install.

Third, avoid buying it on eBay. Buy your PS3 from a local store if that's at all possible, and hang on to the receipt. You don't need to register it to get the full warranty, but you will want to get it from a store that can promise you it's not a refurbished or returned unit.

Lastly, if it comes with a second controller, buy a couple of good co-op games, like Little Big Planet (creative platformer), and play with your 8-year old. Few things are as fun as gaming together. :)

And if you have any other questions, just post back. I'm always happy to be of assistance to any parent who's considering buying their child a gaming console. ;)

Oh, and to save you time: No, the "extras" are not that necessary. This isn't an Xbox 360, this is a console that actually works. ;)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

BEAUTIFUL! Thank you Mims! Good info - ALL!

I did happen to "see" one on ebay that mentioned 'receipt included' which caused me to go; "hmmm" :confused (another one of those "things that make you go hmmm"), but I understand that better now thanks to you!

I may post back in this thread as I seem to be the guy (here) that has more questions than the sky has stars...:-o

8. Mimsy

Whoa there! That is definitely a red flag! :eek

Like I said before, I would avoid eBay. Any electronics you buy, you want to get from reputable vendors, if nothing else because Sony (any most other companies!) will only honor the warranty if you bought the product from an authorized reseller. eBay generally does not count as "authorized".

Like I said, I'm always happy to help parents who're planning to buy their kids gaming consoles. ;)

I've subscribed to this thread, so just post here with any questions you might have, I'll see them within 24 hours and I'll do my best to answer. And of course, don't forget to sign your PS3 up for the MGs Folding Team! Our team number is 12072. :)

9. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Well, here I am - BAAAAAAAAAACK already!!!

"Chargers"..."cooling systems"...etc's., etc's...do you know of these things? Are they worth the extra expense??

Thanks again - and in advance,
    Glenn

10. Mimsy

Yes, I do know of them, and no, they are not necessary or worth the extra money.

I bought them for the 360, since that was the only way to make that pile of scrap parts run stable. (Don't get me started on that console. Really, seriously. Just don't.) The PS3 doesn't need them, which is good since third-party additions sometimes void the warranty.

I'm not sure what you mean by "chargers"? Is that for the controllers? If so, the answer is that you don't need them. The controllers charge through a regular USB-to-mini-USB cable when plugged into the PS3, and if you own two controllers (like I do :p) you can play with one while you charge the other. When you see the low battery warning for the one you're using, you just grab the other one, plug the low battery one in, and go back to playing.

My PS3 can be on for days on end without having heat problems, and it was the release-week model, so I really would not expect any later revisions to have heat issues. It's a well built system.

11. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Your replies are - simply, and succinctly - Perfect. Rare on the web these days it seems - thanks a BUNCH!

12. Mimsy

You're welcome. Like I said, me and the other volunteers on MGs are here to help. :)

Oh, and about charging the controllers... Sony provides at least one controller cable with the console when you buy it. Also, the PS3 will work with any USB keyboard you plug in, for web browsing or for internet connection set-up. Very handy. :)

And lastly and once again, come back to this thread with any other questions and I'll do my best to answer.

13. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Yes, for the controllers - thanks again ~~~ OH, do you have any experience with (or read/heard of) controllers of brands other than Sony (genuine) please?

14. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Ok gang - general question (I suppose?): is there really much difference between PS3 & PS3-"Slim", other than "size" please?

Also - we seem to have been ok for a couple years with mere 16MB and 32MB mem. sticks on a PS2 - it stands to reason that either a 120GB or 160GB console would take us quite far on PS3, (correct?) - or do the PS3 games take a lot more space?

Thanks again...

15. Mimsy

1. No experience with non-Sony controllers, primarily because the motion-sensing part of the six-axis technology is Sony's proprietary secret, so another brand would not have that. Lots of games support it, and some actually require it these days, so I just buy Sony controllers to avoid the hassle. The Dual-Shock 2, the second model, is much better than the first flimsy ones.

2. Yes, there are differences. Here you go: http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Systems/Compare

3. Oh yes. LOTS more space. Several of them install the game to the hard drive of the PS3, to minimize load times while playing, and the save files are significantly larger, due to holding a lot more data. Think of the PS3 as an entertainment PC running a Linux OS, and capable of playing games, and you have a good idea of what you're about to buy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds