Program removal - another way???

Discussion in 'Software' started by dweezer, Sep 10, 2007.

1. dweezer

dweezer Private E-2

Just wondering or at least hoping that someone can help me? I am unable to read PDF files and tried to update my current adobe program to version 8 and it won't work. It tells me there is a patch problem??? I have tried to remove the program altogether through usual means but it won't uninstall. Can anyone tell me any other methods I could use to remove it all and re-download a new reader etc... so I can get on with some work. I desperately need to download some funding application forms and my computer just keeps crashing.

Many thanks.....

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

What version of Adobe Reader do you now have? Exactly what is the error message?

I suggest downloading and installing CCleaner. I'd first run the Windows or Applications scan and then run the Issues scan. For the latter, backup the registry, when prompted, before deleting items found by CCleaner.

Next, go to CCleaner's Tools screen and try using the Uninstall feature there to remove Adobe Reader.

If you continue to have problems with this and need an urgent solution, you might install Foxit PDF Reader, an alternative to Adobe Reader.

3. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Oooops. Didn't see you there USA.....sorry. :)

Steve

5. dweezer

dweezer Private E-2

HI

Thanks for this, will give it a go...have already downloaded foxit and ccleaner successfully.

My version of adobe reader is 7.0.8. The nessage is:
    This patch could not be opened. Verify that the patch exists and that you can access it or contact the application vendor to verify that it is a valid windows installer patch package.

Maria

6. dromano

dromano Staff Sergeant

"The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is provided "as is" to help resolve installation problems for programs that use Microsoft Windows Installer. If you use this utility, you may have to reinstall other programs. Caution is advised"

I have been leery of using the cleanup utility due to the possibility of removing other programs i don't have the disks to replace.
    When using Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is it possible to do a system restore if it removes other programs. :confused

Thanks,
    Dan

7. dweezer

dweezer Private E-2

oh dear, I can't do a system restore on my machine, that's worried me a bit. Can I just leave it there and use foxit?

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Oh, forgot. You can go ahead and use Foxit Reader.......you might like it better. :)

Steve

10. dweezer

dweezer Private E-2

Hi Steve

Thanks, doing it now. Will give foxit a try and see, don't care as long as I can read PDF files!

Wat's that all about at the bottom 'marriage queries', do people really do that? OMG, strange! or does it refer to a private joke somewhere?

Thanks for all your help, and anyone else too.

Maria

11. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I use Foxit Reader, seems to be a little faster than Adobe. I'm glad that usafveteran included it in the post.

The "marriage" thing is an old joke........ ;)

Steve

12. dweezer

dweezer Private E-2

ok, thanks will give it all a go, ccleaner didn't remove adobe at all I'm afraid, think I am stuck with it there forever!

maria

13. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I think, if you use the Cleanup Utility just for Adobe it will let you install the upgrade. Give it a try, it's not going to hurt any other programs.

Steve

14. dweezer

dweezer Private E-2

ok, we'll see what it does then

maria

15. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I've used it several times. It only removes what you highlight and tell it to remove. It is very safe. Not every program on your computer is listed only those programs that use the Microsoft Installer to install. Install it, then open it just to have a look to see what it can cleanup for you. You don't have to select anything to uninstall.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds