NV_4 Display Driver Not Responding

Discussion in 'Software' started by Panthera75, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Panthera75

Panthera75 Private E-2

Hi, I'm new and wondered if anyone might know what is causing this problem. I get this message "nv_4 display driver not responding", recently I did upgrade to 78.01, so I rolled back to my 77.72. I never had problems with 77.72 so I figured I should be ok, but just today I noticed that error again. Could this be the video card itself?

I'm running Windows XP - SP2
    Pentium 4 - 2.66GHz
    512 MB Ram
    Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200
    Driver Date: 06/15/05
    Driver Version: 7.7.7.2

I also have McAfee virus protection, Spy Sweeper, SpyBot, Zone Alarm, and a couple more spyware programs. I did a full scan of all these programs, scanned disk, disk defragged... and still didn't solve my problem. I don't know a lot about computers so that's why I'm wondering if it could possibly be the video card. Lately Ive been running 3planesoft screensavers, not sure if that has anything to do with it, I'm going to try running my other ones and see if it doesn't come back. I just can't figure out what could be the problem. When I upgraded to 78.01 I completely uninstalled the previous drivers, as it said to.

2. Panthera75

Panthera75 Private E-2

Y'all are soo helpful, thanks!

3. robh

robh Private E-2

Hi Panthera75,
    Have noticed that no one was able to help you with your display driver problem.
    I also have the same problem which has ben annoying me now for some months with crashes and freezes. Even a couple of computer techs have not been able to source the problem. My machine is a Pentium 4 2.4 with XP Pro service pack 2 and the NV-4 display driver.
    Al are up to date. Also have Zone Alarm Pro and normal virus/spy ware running.
    Have you been successful in fixing your problem to date as it sounds as if we have the same one.
    I have tried updating drivers, going back to older versions etc...but can't help but wonder ifservice pack 2 to may even be to blame?]
    Could you let me know if you have found a solution?

4. Panthera75

Panthera75 Private E-2

Yes I found the problem. It ended up being the video card. This is what happened: Since I'm still under warranty with Gateway, I told them the problem .. they had me go thru a series of tests which proved (to them) that it was NOT the card or driver, he had me go to dxdiag and test the 3d draw stuff etc etc anyway since I passed those tests he recommended I format and if the problem still persists then call them back. I did that.. I backed up my files then formatted and the problem was still there. Then it got worse.. when I started up my computer it would cause my screen flicker off and on, off and on. Well after formatting I was still unsure that it was the video card, my friend thought it might be something else.. so we put his video card in my pc and it worked fine. Thats how I found out.

Anyway let me tell you some other symptoms I had. I already mentioned the screen flickering... another time when I booted up it would recycle and keep booting up, it would never fully boot. Then the more I messed around with it, the worse it got... (while I was waiting for the delivery of my new video card), I actually got a blue screen with my winxp, it said something about my video device driver nv_4.. and something about it being in an infinite loop and it automatically shut down my computer. This is when I knew it was definitely my video card. At that time I just said forget it, I dont want to lose my harddrive after having just formatted. So the next day my new video card arrived (Radeon), and I got one final message saying my computer had just recovered from a serious error. But that was because I had a new card/driver and everything was good now. So no more problems! I knew it was my driver and Gateway said it wasn't.

I hope this helps. If you know anyone with a video card like yours or that's compatible with your pc.. try installing it and see if you don't have the same problems.

5. robh

robh Private E-2

Hello Panther75,
    Thanks for the prompt reply along with your comments and thoughts. It was much appreciated.
    It had crossed my mind that the video card may be at fault and as symptoms are almost identical to what you have detailed and experienced this will be fully investigated and the card changed.
    One additional problem I have which although not always consistent is the freezing of the page when attempting to scroll down, whether usung word or ebay! Sometimes it is fine, whilst at others it will freeze and then a few seconds later respond and at other times either permantly freeze the frame (reboot only option) or the screen will just go black. If left long enough it will restart in safe mode.
    At other times the screen will at times momentarily go black and then back to the screen you were on, however ultimately if you keep going it will "crash"
    Once again many thanks for your help. It is certainly appreciated. Will let you know how it goes.

Regards,
    Robh

6. Panthera75

Panthera75 Private E-2

Oh yea! That was another problem I had too, my computer would freeze while I was browsing the internet, intermittently and ultimately would cause me to shut down my computer, then when I restarted it it would hang and instead of completely booting up, it would cycle itself and keep rebooting. Another problem I had (you reminded me) was numerous times when the screensaver became actived, it would flicker and automatically revert to safe mode. That happened a lot! The 'crashing' part of it really scared me.. I had no idea winxp had a 'blue screen' that win98 always use to get. It brought back nightmares. lol. Anyway, sounds like you are having the same exact problems I had. I really do think it could be your video card.

Did you say you got the "nv_4 display driver error" too?

7. robh

robh Private E-2

Hi,
    Thanks for the follow up.
    Yes I was getting the NV-4 display driver not responding error quite regularly until a visiting tech switched the same off. Only get it now when it reboots itself in "safe mode"
    Other errors sound very similar indicating most likely the video/graphic card. All drivers are uptodate also. All has worked well for 18 months only causing problems in the last 4 to 5 months. A real pain in the b....t!
    Hopefully we can now investigate the cause of the problem with special thanks to yourself,
    Regards,
    Robh

8. Panthera75

Panthera75 Private E-2

I understand your frustration, I got my computer brand new 3yrs ago... considering a lot of stuff has gone wrong with my pc since then, I suppose 3yrs wasn't so quick for this video card. That's what you get for getting a Gateway. ;) Anyway glad to have helped. Let me know what happens when you switch out this video card.

:)

9. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

When updating drivers it is very important to remove the old version before installing the updated drivers. Sometimes older versions will conflict with the newer stuff. I too had this same error before & it was because I hadn't completely removed all instances of the prior version.

In the Device Manager remove the Display Adapter & reboot. Now go to Add\Remove Programs & delete the older version of the drivers. Once you've done this you can install the update & you should not have any of these issues.

This is what I do & I don't have these problems anymore.

10. Panthera75

Panthera75 Private E-2

Oh most definitely, I did uninstall old drivers. Thanks for the tip though. :)

11. robh

robh Private E-2

Hi Suesman,
    Thanks for the tip. Will double check, however I'm sure my techo removed the old driver, using add/remove programs, before the updated driver was installed.
    Are there any other references that should be removed in addition to removing the old version using add remove programs?
    Many thanks
    Robh

12. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Not that I am aware of man. A long time ago there was a utility for making sure everything was gone, but my understanding is nowadays it's not necessary. I guess you could go threw the whole process again just to make sure. If you are comfortable doing so that is. ;)

13. robh

robh Private E-2

Hi Suesman,
    Thanks for the comment.
    Have also tried a Beta version driver from the Nvidia site which I have downloaded and installed.
    Unfortunately there were no "instructions" on the bet method of doing this ie remove the original driver first or simply download and let the same update the original driver.
    Apparently there is also a conflict with Service Pack 2 and Nvidia, although neither Microsoft or Nvidia are commenting on the same other than Nvidia have have released this Beta Version for a range of their G Force Cards.
    This Beta version seems atpresent to have stopped the crashes and the screen freezes when scrolling down the page, however I am still getting the occasional "black" screen for a very brief moment whilst it is doing its thing(reloading a page etc)
    This certainly indicates it is a driver problem as also problems stated some time ago when service pack 2 was installed.
    Definately seems like a compatability problem.
    Here is the link that I used to download the Beta driver just in case other forum members are also having similar problems.
    http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_66.81.html

Cheers Robh

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds