Windows XP service pack 2

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deadnight, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Deadnight

Deadnight Private E-2

hey, i updated my windows XP by using windows update, it installed Service pack 2. when i restarted it asked me to log in as usual, but once logged in i get a message saying "explorer.exe not repsonding" so i cant use my computer.

i have tried restarting but still get the message, has anyone got any ideas?

thanks

2. BCGray

BCGray Guest

I would suggest using "System Restore" back to before you installed SP2, Then use CCleaner to get rid of SP2 CCleaner is available at Major Geeks at this link http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

Oh! and Welcome to Major Geeks

3. Deadnight

Deadnight Private E-2

how would i do a system restore, i cannot use my computer because the explorer.exe doesnt work..

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Can you get into the "Safe Mode"?

5. Deadnight

Deadnight Private E-2

i can but...... i still get "explorer.exe not repsonding" i press ctrl alt del and then click run and browse. i right click on my computer but system restore is off

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Sounding like it's time for a repair install .....(could try recovery console first ...but...):)

7. BCGray

BCGray Guest

If you can get to the "Safe Mode selection screen choose "Last Known Working Config" this should set you back to before SP2 install, I do trust that you did infact get SP2 from MS and that you have a "Legitimate Version"

8. Deadnight

Deadnight Private E-2

i have tried the last good configuration thing and that did not work.... is there any way of saving my files if i do have to format and reinstall?

9. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Okay then I would concur with TimW, do a "Repair Install" with your MS CD's, again a "REPAIR INSTALL" If you just "Format" and "Install" you will lose ALL you data unless you have a Back-up file

10. Deadnight

Deadnight Private E-2

the repair install fixed it :) and i dont lose any files i havent backed up...

thanks for your help guys its much appreciated

11. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Glad we could help you Deadnight, just remember to acquire a good Back-up program AND USE IT!!!!! most guys problems are complicated by the fact that they do not Back- Up there system. The programs are inexpensive, the time required minimual, but most fail to do it

12. Deadnight

Deadnight Private E-2

will do :) , there is another problem now though, i cant seem to be able to install the audio i insert the disc when prompted to but when i do that it tranfers some files then asks for a disc that was not provided with my motherboard. :confused:

13. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Sorry Deadnight, you will have to give us some more info????

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Doing a repair install over SP2 is just asking for more problems most of the time.

15. The Prisoner

The Prisoner Private E-2

It would have been a better idea to open the Task Manager, and restart Explorer by selecting FILE / NEW TASK (RUN) / explorer.exe. Unless the file had been corrupted (very unlikely), you would have found yourself on the desktop, and then could have used Event Viewer to track down the problem.

Yeah, I know it's too late now, but I just read this. But It will help the next fellow who has the same problem. This is also one of the Best reasons NOT to use Automatic windows updating...........

16. languy99

languy99 Corporal

if it was corrupted he could have done start- run - "sfc /scannow" and it might have replaced it?

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No. sfc /scannow is redundant, and won't do something of that maginitude anyway.

18. Deadnight

Deadnight Private E-2

well the explorer.exe was corrupt i did exactly what you suggested "FILE / NEW TASK (RUN) / explorer.exe" but it still said not responding

19. Deadnight

Deadnight Private E-2

no matter what i try i cant seem to fix the drivers, i think i will just back up my files and format then reinstall

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds