Dell Inspiron 1100 with Windows XP & service pack 2 - usb ports - a problem!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Knowsum, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Knowsum

Knowsum Private E-2

With my Microsoft usb mouse, both ports work with just a little chime to let me know I have plugged in the devise. With my other usb mouse and two different flash disks I am greeted by 'Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard'. I have tried more than once to let the wizard run automatically but, of course, it cannot find relevant software. After the 'Hardware Wizard' has run a large yellow '?' appears where the device driver would otherwise be seen - I have deleted those.

It seems to be all 'Plug' and no 'Play'.

Any usful suggestions would be welcome.:confused:

2. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Have you installed the drivers for these devices as you have for your MS USB Mouse.Welcome to Major Geeks Knownsum If the drivers are installed Windows will give you the chime and you should be up and running, hope that helps:)

3. Knowsum

Knowsum Private E-2

Thanks for that! The flash disk and usb mouse I tried with the Dell I use with other PCs. They did not come to me with driver software. On the other PCs it was just 'Plug & Play' (although if Windows automatically found and loaded drivers from its own resources I don't know).
    I did let Windows try to find software but ' ... no software found ...' was the end result each time I tried. The hardware drivers had the large yellow '?' which was not any help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds