Newbie Here Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by milsaps118, Mar 6, 2008.

1. milsaps118

milsaps118 Private E-2

I use WordPerfect OfficeReady that came installed on my pc to create documents. For some reason now, when I open a file it is never in the same format that I save it in! I can't figure it out. I have tons of doc's that I customized just for business purposes and now every file I open is screwed up. I don't even know where to begin to correct this prob. Can someone please help me???

PS... by no means am I computer literate and know just the bare bones basics. If you respond please explain as if I were a 1st grader.:confused
    I know I should post more details but don't know what exactly, so ask me and I can try and answer.

Thanks in advance!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm not familiar with the version of WP you are using but I'll try to offer a bit of guidance.
    What format do you want to save your documents in? What are they reappearing as?

3. milsaps118

milsaps118 Private E-2

WP v12. I save them as a .doc, the problem I'm having is when I go back and re-open them everything is scrambled out of place, fonts change, and colors will change. It doesn't seem to save them the way I originally created them.

4. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Might be because the converter is for converting files created in WordPerfect a .wpd, then converting to .doc a Microsoft Word format or vise-versa.

From what you're describing you are trying to use WordPerfect as if it were Microsoft Word, most conversions aren't exact duplicates of the original documents, formatting is not the same.
    Also check that you are using the right format for saving to Word, if you are - then this is as close as you will get most likely.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1179425570183

Info on supported formatting: (this will explain it and give you an idea of what is happening, you do not need to read it all) :)

http://support.corel.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_sid=RG1Ve9-i&p_lva=754864&p_admin=&p_li=&p_faqid=755333&p_created=1079982489

http://support.corel.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=RG1Ve9-i&p_lva=&p_faqid=754864&p_created=1078261331&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTg4MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXdvcmQgZG9jICBmb3JtYXQmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT0zJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

Is this is a free trial of WP V12 that came installed, could be expired?

If so you might be better off trying OpenOffice which is free and available here http://www.majorgeeks.com/OpenOffice.org_For_Windows_d3461.html. I haven't tried OpenOffice but think it will convert to Word better than WP, others may have some input on that.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  5. plodr

Don't save it as a doc file, save it as a wpa file.
    If anyone needs a doc file, this converter will allow Office to open WP files
    office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP052742911033.aspx that will solve your problem of losing formatting when you re-open to work on them again.

6. milsaps118

milsaps118 Private E-2

Thanks for the info guys..very helpful. I already downloaded OpenOffice and gave it a little test run. Seems very similar to WP12 I was using and think it's going to suit my needs.
    Now, am I able to convert my WP files to OpenOffice?

7. plodr

I found this question and answer
    Can Open Office open & recognize Word Perfect files?
    I believe it can read, but not write Word Perfect files.

So, I'd install Open Office, try to open one of your WP files and see how it goes. Then save it, under a slightly different name with a .doc extension
    Open the .doc extension, see if the formatting held and seee if you can edit the file.

It will do no harm to have both WP and OO on your computer. I have WP and Office 2K installed on one of my computers.

8. milsaps118

milsaps118 Private E-2

plodr--Thanks, I will try and see what happens.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds