~Router Setup~

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Desasw23, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Desasw23

Desasw23 Private E-2

Description:

I have recently picked up a WRT54G2 Linksys router from a friend.
    I've only set up the security features, and set everything else to default.
    I use Bitdefender as my security software, I disable firewall, or set game mode from time to time. I've also tried leaving my firewall on Bitdefender and disabling security features such as turning the DMZ on.
    Opening UDP/TCP forwarding and receiving for their servers and turning firewall off on the router.
    I have Cable Internet
    512kb/18MB Speeds

Problem:

For some reason I've been having trouble downloading and playing certain games.
    Most of the time downloads would start and than freeze, knowing its not their servers that have problems since putting the ethernet cable directly in the modem allows me to properly download and play these games.

Solution?

2. Desasw23

Desasw23 Private E-2

Still need help.........

3. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

have you tried a different encryption type or turning off the encryption? The problem can be in the router or the wireless card so be sure to check both and update drivers for the wireless card.

4. Desasw23

Desasw23 Private E-2

I use direct connection with a cat 5. I also don't use the wireless.
    I've checked the encryption and it seems fine. I turned them off and on.
    I still don't know what the problem is and its a pain.
    I'm sure others have had this problem where they cant seem to download properly or connect to games when using the router but during a direct connection to the modem, everything is high and dandy.
    If anyone might know the problem and/or have a solution to set up the router configurations.
    Please give me a step by step process, it would be much obliged

5. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Sorry, I misread about the ethernet to the modem thinking ethernet to the router works but not the wireless.

You can try a the gaming forum too if no one has a solution here. I've tried to help with this old model router in the past, and I have one still myself, but had no luck resolving gaming issues.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds