Can't install MBAM Malwarebytes' Antimalware

Discussion in 'Software' started by ant1g33k, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ant1g33k

ant1g33k Private E-2

I don't know of anybody has seen my other post in the Malware removal Forum, stating my current virus situation, and having to post these in SafeMode VIA a Proxy Bypass website, but once again I have encountered a problem:

I just recently managed to download MBAM, however, when I double-click "mbam-setup.exe" which is the set-up program, I am asked if I'm sure I want to open this file, at which point I click yes, and then to my great frustration, nothing happens.

I have tried installing MBAM in both SafeMode and normal mode, and neither of them seem to work for me. In normal mode, it's even worse. Everything but my desktop wallpaper disappears. My icons, taskbar, everything except the image of a desert landscape.

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Then Disable your firewall and ALL other security software before you download and install. On rare occations it's necessary.

3. ant1g33k

ant1g33k Private E-2

Hi, thanks for the reply.

My firewall, COMODO Firewall Pro, has been disabled.
    My Windows Security Centre security settings have been disabled.

However I am still unable to run the setup for MBAM.

Are there any security programs/software that I should disable? COMODO and the Windows default are the only ones that I am aware of, as well as Vista Antivirus which is a virus, and I'm looking into getting rid of it right now.

4. manojbmenon

manojbmenon Private E-2

I had the same problem. there was no response to the exe file . I just renamed the mbam-setup.exe file to mc.exe and then it got easily installed. the malware was causing the problem i think ( I had *antivirus2009* problem).

5. aceslick911

aceslick911 Private E-2

Ok to anyone who's having this problem, here is my solution.

Rename mbam-setup.exe to inst.exe (or anything different) and run it. Run through setup as normal. You might have a bit of delay if there are some nasty viruses running.

After setup is complete, try running the software as normal. If nothing happens:

Navigate to the folder "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" and create a copy of the "mbam.exe" file and rename it to "go.exe"

Run it. The software should run fine. If you cannot update the software because some virus is blocking internet connection, restart in "Safe mode with networking" (Hit F8 rapidly while the windows loading screen is visible when you turn on your computer to see this menu)

Run the file again, you should be able to update. Best of luck.

Scan. Delete. Hopefully be virus-free

6. aceslick911

aceslick911 Private E-2

* another way to get an update is to go to the malwarebytes website and click the "download latest database" link.

You can do this on another computer and copy it via USB stick if you have to.

This avoids having to go to safe mode or if safe mode doesnt work either.

7. x_ponent

x_ponent Private E-2

download trojan remover from here

http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/download.html

and scan and remove trojans from your system, its got a 30-day trial so you can use before buying. Remove the trojans and then rename the mbam file to something else and try re-installing.

If you can connect to the internet, its worthwhile using the NOD32 online scanner too.

Hope that helps

Maaz

8. Waking_In_The_Matrix

Waking_In_The_Matrix Private E-2

No doubt you are running Vista!
    Type is MSCONFIG at the search prompt
    Select Tools(tab)
    click on Disable UAC
    reboot your system.
    Try it now;)

9. nick1of7

nick1of7 Guest

AceSlick911 is a GOD.

follow the steps if not working read over again Will work fine to remove the dredded AV2009

10. bluejays6

bluejays6 Private E-2

Gosh, I wish just ONE of these things would work for me! I just finished trying to download it to the stick instead of my hard drive. still didn't let me install or run it.

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

bluejays6, welcome to Major Geeks. If you are having a problem, please start here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    click on the new thread button on the left and create a new thread for your problems. It also help if you mention what operating system and any service packs you are running and if you have the problem installing just one program or most security programs or even if you are unable to install anything.

12. cart0181

cart0181 Private E-2

Thank You! :clap

Renaming the installer worked for me. Sneaky malware it is.

13. compulady

compulady Private E-2

Renaming the executable file works like a charm!!!

14. tomsull

tomsull Private E-2

x_ponents soluton worked for me!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds