Is This Comp Ready For The Trash?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yunguns3, Jan 15, 2010.

1. yunguns3

yunguns3 Private E-2

I've searched and searched the forums here at MajorGeeks, but haven't found anything related to my issue (I probably just missed it. :)). Anyway...

...here's my issue: I did a system recovery (using the 7 disks that came with my Compaq Presario) of XP. Not a format, just the standard recovery. Everything seemed to work fine. When I started using the comp, the sound is gone. Tried reinstalling the Multimedia Audio Controller (Realtek AC'97 for VIA) driver, but get an error message: "The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request." Anytime I try to install hardware (including printer, USB Jump drive, etc...), I get that error message. I've never seen that particular error message and have no clue what it means or how to fix it.

I've tried the Compaq Application Recovery and numerous other things, but nothing has resolved this issue so far. I'm almost ready to through this comp out the window.

Another thing I noticed is that my RAM isn't being "reported" right. I've got 608 MB, but it says (MY Comp-->Properties) there's only 480MB.

I've done this exact recovery on this same comp several times and never had this problem. I'm looking at trying to back up 20-30 Gigs of stuff and do a complete wipe of the HD and reinstall of XP. I really don't want to go that route if there is a better solution.

Please help!

I deeply appreciate any help. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

BTW--I'm running XP Home SP3. Oh, and this comp is 5 or 6 years old.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds