"Forgotten your password" tool

Discussion in 'Software' started by s881628, Oct 16, 2005.

1. s881628

s881628 Private E-2

g'day all,

I am a Network administrator for a school in australia. I have a hard to ask question, ,so bear with me.

I would like to be able to automate password changes for my students. i get alot of kids each day comming to me asking me to reset their passwords for them, neeless to say this gets very annoying. what i had in mind was this. i want to setup a dedicated machine, that students can go to and input some "identifying" details such as username, and secret question/answer or something similer, and have it randomly generate a new password them. i am running 2K3 Server and AD to manage all the users. what i need is some software that i could this with. a web interface would be fantastic, it could do a lookup in a database to see if the correct identifying details were given then reset the password.

I hope this makes some kind of sense. any help with some software to help me do this or point me in the write direction of scripting this myself would be very highly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Jayse

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

got .NET ;)
    I wouldn't recommend a direct AD change as they ask for a new password on the site as this could be a security risk.

The model should be:
    1.User request
    2.Admin apply (To AD)

I don't know of anything off hand that would do this and access AD as well so all I can say is .NET is your best friend :)

Step 1.
    Recovery.aspx : Holds a form that can be used to request a new password. This should be on a machine that is setup like a keyeosk

Step 2.
    adminapply.aspx: lists out all requests in a grid. ALL requests should be also be kept in history for atleast 1 year for obvious reasons.

Step 3.
    adminapply.aspx: uses something like this

http://www.vbdotnetheaven.com/Code/May2003/1003.asp

to apply the changes to active directory and notify the user via your method of choice that the password has been changed and what the password is. My suggestion is postal mail instead of email.

If you need help programming this, let me know :)

3. s881628

s881628 Private E-2

Thanks alot Kodo, this information sounds very good. Only one problem though, i just figured out i cant script for peanuts :p I know how to Batch and some kix scripting thats about all, very hard to do this in either of those! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds