Problems installing Win2k on laptop which used Linux but currently uses Win98SE

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jinxme, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Jinxme

Jinxme Private E-2

When I put in the second floppy disk of the 4 to install Win2k I get this error: "File hal.dll could not be loaded. The error code is 7".

Interestingly Windows XP runs on it fine but its an older laptop so I want to run Win2k instead.

I've tried using Windows 98SE bootup disk and cleared the system files and copied over new ones from 98SE but the same hal.dll error keeps displaying.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2008
  2. Jinxme

Jinxme Private E-2

edit/add

".. the same hal.dll error keeps displaying" ..after I stick in the 2nd floppy disk when trying to install Win2k.

I've also tried the system restore feature on Win98SE's bootup disk with no results. I'm not sure if the system restore feature is the same as manually copying over the system files like I mentioned earlier so better I make myself clear.

I'll try experimenting with Winternals ERD commander. If that fails I'll install Windows XP to see if it has a better system restore feature just so I can try to install Win2k. (since they both use the same kind of file system it's worth trying right?)

Any other suggestions are appreciated, thx in advance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds