Unable to obtain IP Address

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dodgethis, Jul 24, 2010.

1. dodgethis

dodgethis Private E-2

My computer got a virus (not sure which one), but I got it knocked out.

The computer is now not able to connect to DHCP.

the computer takes a long time to start up...

NOW if I place a static IP address in the computer, it starts fast and gets to the internet properly.

On dynamic, it keeps saying trying to obtain an IP address. If I goto services, the DHCP Client is set to automatic, but not started. I can start the DHCP service and I can then connect and obtain an IP address and the internet.

On the event viewer, it shows that it timed out because it didnt start in a timely fashion.

Any ideas?

2. JonBoyFishhead

JonBoyFishhead Private First Class

you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for you NIC, sometimes, they have been known to act up for "no" reason. you can also go to the command prompt and type the follwing: ipconfig /release then press enter
    then type ipconfig /renew and press enter
    see if that will release the current configuration and assign you a new ip address.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds