Remote Server Access Updating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ironchef, Sep 28, 2004.

1. ironchef

ironchef Private E-2

Okay, I need some real HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I am currently trying to put up a forum for my website, the server is in Massachusetts and is no where near me..

It requires the latest PHP and MySQL!

The server is NO WHERE near me, so I need to remotely update the site.

The problem is that the Server is Linux, and I am completely unfamilliar with it, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

is there anyone that could help me put up the forum?

A few things I need to know are:

What is a good server remote to connect to the linux server to update the computer
    Can someone walk me through this?
    :rolleyes: Its sad that I dont know linux yet....

2. Philipp

Philipp Administrator Staff Member

Is that a dedicated server? Which Linux distribution are you running?

3. ironchef

ironchef Private E-2

The one on in place is MS-IIS. But the new one to be used if you want it, could be Redhat 9. To remote administer the thing you will need to know the DOS commands. There is no GUI for the remote administeration. Look into a program called Putty for that purpose.

Farzad

Thats from my friend.
    :rolleyes:

4. Philipp

Red Hat Linux 9 already include newer versions of PHP and MySQL. However, I would upgrade the machine either to Fedora Core 2 (the successor of Red Hat Linux) or CentOS 3.3 (a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3) first because Redhat 9 has been discontinued last April.

You can get PuTTY here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4135.html

5. Yzaraf

Yzaraf Private E-2

This is me again.... I decided to change my name... something more fitting...

Okay so here is my question, I need to know if Fedora also comes with MySQL and PHP... Cuz I'm thinking of giving my uncle the go-ahead,

This really bites, Im beggining to think hes doing this to tick me off. As if learning DOS, HTML, XHTML, JavaScript, CSS, VB, and Java weren't enough, NOW HE WANTS ME TO LEARN LINUX!

Im friggen' 13! I have a life to... I think

:rolleyes:

6. Philipp

Yes, both Fedora Core and CentOS comes with PHP/MySQL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds