Disk Read Error at Boot Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by martyb688, Feb 3, 2007.

1. martyb688

martyb688 Private E-2

I'm getting a "disk read error, press ctl-alt-del" message at boot up.

My bios boots OK, it shows a message that contains memory, drives, etc. there are no errors in my bios setup. My boot order is CD, Floppy and Hard Disk.

If I try to boot from CD with a know good OS disk, the CD lights up but always results in the "disk read error" message.

I opened up the case and checked the cable connections, everything is rock solid.

I'm thinking my next action would be to put the hard disk in an old PC and see if it works.

Any Other Ideas?

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

What is your boot CD?
    You have to watch the boot process and key in a response at the correct time.
    Most systems halt for about three seconds displaying the message
    'Boot from CD ? press any key'
    If you miss this, the system will automatically pass on to booting (or not booting) from the hard drive.
    If this is not the solution post all the detail you can about your bios settings. As read from your bios, not what you think they are!
    For the boot order, the drives detected and their settings.
    Can you pause the boot at the page (by quickly pressing the break key )which shows a resource summary, immediately before loading the operating system?

Studio T

3. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

The message you're getting is usually seen when the BIOS cannot read the disk it's trying to boot from. That can indicate a problem with either the disk or the drive. The fact that a known-good disk doesn't work suggests a problem with the CD drive.

But I'm puzzled. You say you're having a problem booting from your CD drive, but you'd try putting your hard drive in another machine to test it. Why would you do that? I'd suggest trying the CD drive in another machine, not the hard drive.

Or do we need to know whether your system will boot from the hard drive if both the CD drive and the floppy drive are empty? Will it? If not, what error message are you getting when you try that?

4. dine_y2k

dine_y2k Private E-2

sorry marty ur hard disk was damaged
    take all data to other hard disk and
    using Disk manager put zero fill to ur hard disk
    then reload OS

5. PC Place

PC Place Private E-2

Simply put... If you have not changed your boot configuration - IE - Through the BIOS... Then your OS is corrupt or not present...

You can change the preferences for booting in the BIOS by either boot options or IDE options... If your drive is a SATA device, make sure you have on board RAID compatibility... If not, download the Promise controller and install it to a floppy...

If you have changed the boot devices then there is a problem with your CD drive and\or IDE cable... Try replacing both and see if boot works...

Or if you have access to the internet and another computer, try windows PE... Or Minilinux, both which boot off a cd and both can "Image" another network computer with an installation - GUIDES PROVIDED...

Otherwise and\or if problem persists, MB or Ram is corrupt and is corrupting your install...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds