Can't connect to internet after router reset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MZPRESTO, Apr 15, 2009.

1. MZPRESTO

MZPRESTO Private First Class

Hi

I was helping someone out with there wireless network, they wanted to add another laptop to the network, but couldn't remember their WEP password.

The only option was to reset the router back to factory settings which I did.

(I set the router up in the first place and it worked OK before)

After the reset it showed as open security, but would not connect to any of the computers.

The router is an ASDL router and the main computer is connected directly by ethernet and that would not connect either.

In network properties it shows that it is connected and under status properties it shows that it is sending and receiving data, so I do not understand.

It is setup in TCP/IP settings to obtain IP address and resolve DNS automatically so why wont it work?

Could be something at the providers side, cause I have reset it they need to allocate it a new IP address??

Thanks

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Possibly firewall issues. Also may need to power down complete network and power up in sequence, modem, router and then comps. (Let each item completely connect before powering up the next.)

3. MZPRESTO

It's a combined modem and router that they provide, I did look at the WAN section but had no idea what to look out for...

Tried disabling the router firewall and windows firewall and still wouldn't work, also tried rebooting and powering up seperately in that order

Think I need to read up on WAN

Thanks for your quick repsonses

4. MZPRESTO

AHA!!!

It was all in the WAN!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Needed to add some ISP login details, there were some already in there but they were default and I couldn't remember doing this first time round!

Thanks Geeks!

This site always pulls through for me! :-D :-D :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds