Major Geeks' Home Page Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by plastidust, Dec 9, 2013.

1. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

I should know this but I don't and have wondered about it for years.

On Major Geeks' home page, or any of the category pages, some applications will be listed as a [​IMG].

So what criteria or deciding factor(s) determine that an application be listed this way?

I'm sure I deserve some smart alec responses since the answer is probably obvious, but I can be relatively obtuse at times.

2. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

I don't think there's any way to know the answer to that unless you're "in the loop". Could be the software reviewers have free license to tag (PICK) on any program they determine to be deserving. Or maybe they get together and decide by consensus. Or maybe Major Attitude makes the call. Or maybe there's a set of criteria that the (PICK) programs have to meet. So, the answer to your question is anything but obvious to me. As a side note, I have found that the programs listed as (PICK) are, with very few exceptions, excellent apps for a multitude of reasons.

OK, and here's the smart alec remark that you think you deserve:

"Your mother smells of elderberries and your father was a hamster";)
    - Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Because Jim and Tim say it is to be, and thus it is and such the like of said "PICK" be displayed in the manner to which thouest not count beyond 3 but not stop prior to ... 5 is right out.

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

+1
    Not just you.

I'd bet that MA makes that choice.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The "pick" apps tend to be ones that have been tested by Tim or Jim + others and deemed a likely must have app for users, the apps listed as "pick" tend to be a core set of apps from various categories of computing that many like and have installed as default.

6. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Appreciate it David. Kodo's explanation is what I've accepted all these years.
    But, since the "picks" are excellent, in the back of my mind I thought there must be more to it than testing for malware and making sure the programs did what was stated on the tin without crashing/damaging the computer.

Major Geeks, best of the best.

7. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

As Dave highlights and for myself "pick" is for an application that is used worldwide like c cleaner for example in which the public who use software support it and likewise the developer keeps the software updated at all times and lets the likes of myself beta test it should i feel the need to

All software prior to a updated build release can have bugs so it's imperative the likes of the admin staff here try these updated builds out first so they can report back any major flaws to the developer for fixing before being listed on this site for download

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds