I have a dog!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mimsy, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

We adopted a puppy! :hyper

The Guy has wanted a dog for as long as I've known him--when he left for college, that was the first time in his life he had ever lived without a dog--and I've kind of grown to like the concept as well, so we have been going to animal shelters on weekends for the past few months, looking at dogs of various ages and breeds. This morning, we finally found the perfect one. She's a pure-bred black lab, 12 weeks old (young?), spayed and healthy, and full of energy and excitement about everything around her. The two cats are less than happy, but we can already tell from their behavior that they'll get used to her. The puppy is smart enough to avoid the cats.

The puppy is as of yet unnamed, but we are working on that. She is currently sleeping in her crate, worn out from playing and new environments, and she seems to really like both of us.

I had no idea I was a dog person. :)

I tried to attach pictures to this post, but the forum tells me I'm not allowed because there's a security token missing. So I put the few good pictures into a PhotoBucket album. Puppies are not easy to photograph... they move around way too much.

2. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Great doggy pics., Mimsy. Yeah, I've always liked Labs as well. Pets always make one's life a little more complete, i.m.o. Especially dogs.:) I've always had a dog, cat and usually birds and fish, except for the last eight years I've been dogless.:( Got all the other pets, though. I'm just not home enough to be fair on a puppy/dog as they tend to pine for you when you're not home.

3. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Welcome to the world of doggies, and unconditional love :)
    She's a beauty. Any labs best toy is a tennis ball. I can't imagine my house without a doggie. Currently have two St. Bernards and a Golden retriever.

Thanks for posting the pics.
    Cheers..

Edit to add: You could call her Mimsy. :)

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Hot Dog!!!

Smartest dog I ever owned was a black lab (her name, oddly enough, was Black Dog)...

Beautiful creature, Lady Mims!

5. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I can hardly imagine life without a dog in the house.

This is Otis, our grandkids best friend.

My kids got him for me for Christmas 2008 after our 13 year old dog, Lacey, went to doggie heaven.

[​IMG]

Then he started to grow up - 2009
    [​IMG]

Now he's 80 pounds and a good watch dog - 2012
    [​IMG]

He was supposed to be a Lab Shepherd mix but it turns out he's more Coon Hound (short Legs) then anything although he does have a Lab face and webbed feet.

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Congrats Mims! That's awesome. You'll love having a dog in the house. It's a lot more work than a cat, but worth it. Dogs usually learn quickly not to mess with cats. If they don't, a nice swipe to the nose with sharp claws is typically enough.

Adorable pics.:)

7. justkim

justkim Private E-2

OMG--she is so cute! I live with three doggies. Four kitties. What a world!

Congrats on your new baby. They are the most wonderful of God's creations! Your life as you know it will never be the same in so many fantastic ways!

8. justkim

justkim Private E-2

@shnerdly...I see spoiled rotten all over him. What a handsome cutie pie!

9. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Awww she looks like my old dog (passed 7 years ago).
    She WILL eat everything including your shoes! lol

I'm sure you will all have many grand memories in the future.
    I would like to get another dog but my 1 cat would not like it, they are house cats and she is very territorial. Doesn't like any other animals except her brother, he on the other hand just wants to play with anything with a pulse :-D

10. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

A real cutie Mims

11. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Truly a very lovely lady.
    Congrats.

12. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

I like the 4th pic. Probably just happenstance but it looks as if the caption should be "Uhhh....should I eat or should I sleep?" :)

13. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

With a Lab, early training is a must. Congrat's!!! I don't know what we would do without our hounds. As far as names go, Stinky Doddle is already taken. LOL

14. tonyhale

tonyhale Lounge Lizard No.2

Names for Mimsy's dog??

How about Carpenter

He'll be doing lots of little jobs around the house:wave

15. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Cute dog Mimsy. I am thinking about getting another lab mix or lab.

16. oma

oma MajorGeek

Adorable puppy Mimsy and cute pics. Congrats! Her coat is so shiny.

17. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Nice looking dog Mimsy.
    My wife and I have thought about adopting a dog in the past but realized we are just not responsible enough for one. So we went with cats.:-D

18. Mimsy

I jokingly suggested that to The Guy and he gave me this odd look and said, "that's not a bad name..." We haven't decided on a name yet though. Thankfully, she comes when I pat me leg and call, and she'll be on a leash anywhere outside the house and yard.

This puppy is not typical. LOL She wants playmates so badly, she's trying very hard to make friends with Her Divine Imperial Majesty. After a couple of swipes she has learned what a hiss means, and immediately backs away, but she really wants to be friends and play, so very badly. She goes down on her stomach, avoid eye contact, wags her tail, and moves slowly, but the moment she hears that hiss she backs away. And then she comes back a few minutes later and tries again.

I've got to give her points for persistence.

:eek

She will not! i have pre-emptively locked all shoes away in my big closet, and we bought over a dozen chew toys of various kinds for her. We figured we'll bring them out a few at a time, since puppies have short attention spans and get bored easily.

The manager at the shelter made a point of bringint that up (she's also the trainer holding classes there), and we went home with a bunch of pamphlets about their puppy classes. We have every intention of signing up for them, since our little girl is going to grow up to be a very big and strong girl, and we want her to be well behaved.

Especialy since she's smart. A smart pet can get itself into all sorts of trouble if they're not properly trained.

Thanks. :) We spent months looking, and all we've looked at has been labs or lab mixes. They told us this one is a pure lab, but any mix would have been fine. We were very firm on the black part though... for some weird reason I don't understand, it's harder to get them adopted than dogs of other colors.

If you're set on a shelter dog, the ones around here have wish lists. You tell them you're looking for a black lab, and they take your contact info, and when they get one in, they call you and let you know, and hold it for you for 24 hours. After that, if you don't want it, it goes back to being available for everyone. Some of the shelters ask for a deposit, and if you find a dog this way they subtract that from the adoption fee.

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

"This puppy is not typical. She wants playmates so badly, she's trying very hard to make friends with Her Divine Imperial Majesty. After a couple of swipes she has learned what a hiss means, and immediately backs away, but she really wants to be friends and play, so very badly. She goes down on her stomach, avoid eye contact, wags her tail, and moves slowly, but the moment she hears that hiss she backs away. And then she comes back a few minutes later and tries again.

I've got to give her points for persistence."

That is how Fred was. I think it is a Lab trait. Fred had an obsession with playing with the cat they had. There was never a fight, but they both chased each other around the house.

Fred was funny with fetching. He would do it about 3 times, then the Chow in him said if you want the ball over there, I am fine with that. :-D

They are persistant, socially. It is the beauty of the Lab. Friendly loyal critters. You got a keeper. ;)

20. Mimsy

That's actually why The Guy wanted a lab, because of how sweet and loyal they are. :)

This one is following us around the house wherever we go, either carrying a toy or watching intently, and she actually seems to enjoy practising "sit". She gets too excited about everything around her to remember most of the time, but when we manage to get her full attention, she sits down right away. Even more importantly, she learned "no!" very quickly.

21. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I hope she learned 'no' better than Fred! :-D

Once out of the puppy biting stage, they are really sweet critters. I may check out the local shelter for one myself. Just too much fun. :-D

22. Mimsy

When she hears "no!" she stops whatever she's doing and looks over to see if we're angry. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than any other dog, but for now it works for how we want her to behave. And she's already sweet. ;)

If you do get yourself one, just for the fun of it, we want pictures!

23. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Fred was stubborn. I blame that on the chow part. No factual basis, just who I blame.

If I get a puppy, will have pictures of course. Heck, posted pictures of myself the other day!

24. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Congratulations, Mimsy - nice looking pupper you have there!

Dogs rock! I mean, cats are ok (I got some) but you can hang with a dog in a way you can't with a cat :)

When I looked at the picture of it trotting on the sidewalk the name "Katana" popped into my head . . . :-D

25. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Aw, I love labs. Pretty dog.

I have four Labs and a German Shephard. The Shephard has finally stopped growing. HE'S HUGE!

26. Mimsy

And the Creative Brilliance award, in the Dog-naming category, goes to: Sikvik! :celebrate

Yes, we have actually named her Mimsy. She's learned her name frighteningly fast, and it fits her perfectly.

It's really hard not to fall in love with someone who is super-excited and thrilled to see you, and so happy she can't sit still, and all of that just because I showed up and acknowledged her. :)

27. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

LOL, now you have to buy Mimsy shoes. :-D

28. Mimsy

LOL

Right after I posted about her name, puppy-Mimsy came bouncing over, all excited and happy about her latest chew toy, that she found all by herself, and she wanted me to grab it so we could play tug with it. With one of my new $70 New Balance running shoes, that I stupidly thought were safe in a box on a kitchen chair! rolleyes

The new shoes are now behind a closed closet door. Shoes belong to the humans and may never be touched.

29. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You need a shoe safe. :-D Remember, anything waist level or lower is potential puppy 'toy'. They learn. ;)

30. Caliban

Hmm...Shoes...

Maybe dyamond will take pity upon you...and Mimsy...

That could get confusing, real quick...if 'The Guy' yells "Mimsy", will you both come running? Inquiring minds want to know...

;)

31. Phantom

...I'm guessing her guy doesn't call her Mimsy anyway, I could be wrong, though.;)

32. Caliban

Really? You mean, her name might not be "Mimsy"??? :confused

33. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

The only safe option is to glue your shoeboxes to the ceiling. Believe me.

34. LauraR

roflmao

Well, congrats on the name. I think you were about 3 days ahead of us on our poor little girl.

All I can say is thank god dogs are so wonderful and that I love mine to death, or else I would not have gotten through picking up a winter's worth of dog poop today (minimum 20lbs...jus' sayin') out of my backyard.:cry (It got up to about 60F today, I couldn't put it off any longer).

35. Phantom

...Just Eeewwww!!!....:eek:puke

[​IMG]

Yeah, there's actually a website devoted to this. Some people have way too much time on their hands. (And poo on their minds!...LOL)

36. LauraR

As long as Mimsy doesn't have to deal with shoes in poo, she'll be good. LOL

37. Mimsy

He calls me "Wench!", in a very demanding voice. When he's in a good mood, he calls me, "torment of my declining years". LOL

Great advice! But so far, putting the shoe boxes behind a closed closet door has worked out pretty well. She can't open doors yet. ;)

I'm on poop-scoop duty this weekend. :( The Guy says it's only fair since he did both cat boxes. Since I hate the cat boxes, it's hard for me to argue with that.

38. Phantom

Ya, I hate the litter box as well, me and :crap do NOT get on together! :(. (and the other funky smells in da 'box'). I get mad at her when she spends all day outside and comes in just to be-foul my laundry area. I mean, there IS sand outside - sheesh!:mad Then she wants cuddles and I can't stay mad anymore :-o
    People think it's real amusing about my aversion to funky smells, (both of human and animal origin LOL). I just tell them "I hate crap, what the Hell is weird about that?". I mean do they LIKE it or what? I don't get the amusement, unless of course, they just like to see me spin-out about poo.:yum
    Now ya know one of my secrets Phantom has no fear - except of the Mr.Hanky monster - That is his nemesis.roflmao

39. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

The operative word there is YET. She WILL figure it out. I guarantee it. We can no longer hang towels on the refrigerator door handle, or the door opens, and food 'mysteriously' vanishes in the night.

And do not get me started on cleaning up. I see your 20 lbs and raise you 6 times. Yes, it's only five dogs. But they are NOT small dogs. Big to little, reference Jack Palance in City Slickers.

40. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

We aren't the same shoe size :-D

..as for the dog, I don't particularly like them (so no help from me on that LOL). I can tolerate them as long as they stay away from me because I will surely stay away from them.

41. Mimsy

Since puppy-Mimsy actually came fully create trained, we are taking shameless advantage of that, and making her spend her nights locked up. ;)

Within reason, of course. We make sure to let her out every few hours and take her out in the backyard so she can stretch her legs, burn off energy, and pollute the lawn with bio-waste.

42. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Generally speaking women shouldn't clean litter boxes.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/pregnant.htm

43. Mimsy

I knew about that, actually. But I'm not pregnant, and not planning to get pregnant any time soon, so we take turns.

However, if I ever do get pregnant, I guarantee you the cat boxes will all be his job entirely. And while he cleans them, I'll be working on a very strongly worded letter of complaint to the manufacturer of my chosen form of birth control. ;)

44. Mimsy

Also, tired puppy:

[​IMG]

45. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

The litter box and bathrooms are always my chore, and if my wife gets pregnant it'll be a stongly worded letter to her. I'm neutered.:-D

46. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Look at that face.

47. oma

oma MajorGeek

Priceless pic Mimsy.

48. Phantom

Lovely pic., Mimsy. :)

49. Mimsy

She's adorable. I'm in puppy-love. :)

As I said before, it's very hard not to fall in love with a creature who's so very happy to se me every time I enter the room. I could be a serial killer of babies, for all she knows, and as long as I love her, she genuinely doesn't care about anything else. There's something very humbling and appealing about that. Mimsy is a good little puppy. :)

50. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Cute Puppy and Neat NAME!

So does she like MMORPG or RTS but I guess it depends on paw action.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds