Dual core or core 2 duo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by christopherjellybean, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Is ther any differance between "dual core" and a "core duo2" other than ones is for mobile and the othere desktops? I hear "dual core" used so much and now i've heard of a "quad core" yesterday!?!? Is there two types of dual copre for desktops? And i can figure out what quad core is.I was going to buy a dual core dell (yeah i know,don't say it lol) but i seen some with only a 2.3-2.6 dual core but on ebay i see some that are 3.4 -3.8. and how much better is a 1.6 -2.0 dual over a 3.6 HT? REAL BIG differance or what? Sorry if i ask to much. :confused:

2. Adola

Adola Private E-2

3. TomaxBlade

TomaxBlade Private E-2

From my understanding (very quick & basic) ... Core 2 Duo is faster than Core Duo (or the earliest ones simply called Dual Core).

The Core Duo is basically 2 chips each with a 1M cache. The Core 2 Duo is 2 chips that SHARE a 2M cache (that both cores can access) ... which makes it faster. I don't think so much that one is for portables & one for desktops ... I've seen portables with both types available as well.

I know that there are other differences ... I'm not enough of a hard core hardware geek to REALLY know the difference. I'm sure that there are plenty out here who are! *grin*

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Dual cores and core2duos are similar in that they both have multiple processor "cores" on a sinlge chip. There are quad cores coming out, which follow the same idea.

The Pentium D dual cores were Intel's first offering. These were dual core processors based on the Pentium 4 chip. (ie. essentially constructed the same).

The core2duo are intels newest dual core processors. They have been completely redesigned. They are a far superior processor to the Pentium D (apparently - I'm not impressed with the Pentium D's, and my gf likes the core2duo, although I haven't tried one for myself).

5. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

to answer the second part of your question, yes a "slower" 1.8ghz (the slowest core 2 duo) will beat a 3.8ghz p4 or Pentium D. The core architecture is much more efficient, and the much larger caches help IMMENSELY.

lol dont worry, dells arent bad they are actually quite well build and they are great deals (most of the time)

if you get the time, or just wanna check it out, take a look at these interactve charts: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

they will show you how each processor performs on different tasks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds