42% of Surveyed Android Users look to switch to iPhone5

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Hardware' started by BoredOutOfMyMind, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

I am less than happy with my Android.
    :wave

Story here.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

The question is why?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I could see it happening as in part some users I know jumped from iPhone to Android and some are going back to iPhone, more I think for the aesthetics of it, as its the "cool" think to have when in a meeting or bar!! and some are "app happy" and dont like the apps that some get on the iphone vs Android.

Personally I think the iPhone is great but I've done that thing and now I'm moved on, its a great first smart phone but its limited in a way opposed to Android, Blackberry and Windows Mobile, in that iTunes is a PITA, or I've always found it is and some friends of mine have, updates constantly wipe the phone or need re-installing constantly, to the buggy phone updates that drove me mad at times.

iPhone 5 is not out so its a guess so far in that users may look at it, but as soon as they have decided to get one a few months later Apple will release a iPhone 6 and hack users off like they did with the iPad2.

at BOOMM what dont you like about Android and what one do you have?

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

I have a Samsung Galaxy S and find the phone not as synched with my desktop as I expected. Google notices are badly lagged for most Google apps.

Side note. Google+ lack of privacy means everytime I log in to Latitude, everyone gets updated. Why would I want to use my phone like Twitter if I don't use Twitter actively. (probably another thread altogether)

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I was going to go with an Android when I switched from my Blackberry (which frankly, don't seem to kept up with the times very well although they do sync extremely well). I use Outlook as my email and my calendar. Yes, I could switch, but I don't want to. The fact that Android phones are not readily or easily compatible with Outlook is a mistake. Maybe it's changed, but when I was buying a phone, you had to download software for it to work. I ended up with an iphone. I'm not an apple company fan, but the phone is easy to use, that's for sure.

That is the issue with both my itouch and my iPhone! wtf? How does apple get away with that? I haven't plugged my iphone in for months since I don't want to take the chance of it needing to be totally wiped. I bought mobile me just so my calendar would sync remotely.

Did you find a fix for this Dave? Just out of curiosity.

6. DavidGP

Ah I see thats not great it it lags in syncing data, plus the Latitude thing I hear you on that one (freaky thing to see exactly where you are and your friends are, could be a trouble causer if you where somewhere you shouldn't be ;) ) as my last Windows Phone the HTC HD2 had the Google Mapping and Latitude was a part of that, but could be turned off.

Yes I bought a Windows Phone 7 and it uses Zune to deliver updates and sync PC with Phone, and it has performed fantastic.

as for the iPhone my friend had this on one of her phones last week and only thing to do is to make sure you have a backup of your phones data before updating the iOS just in case, then if it fudges up its a case of a factory reset and recovery of saved data.

Make sure iTunes is upto date and your internet is not being hammered by other users, so do the update early morning or late at night, less likely to have any data packets corrupted or loss in internet.

Also wait a week or so before updating to see if their are cries of pain on the Apple Support forum due to another bad update.

7. DavidGP

Just as an update in this topic I was reading this at the BBC just now HERE and its quiet interesting as

Maybe Blackberry my get a sudden increase in sales due to how teens love a fad and they are not going the Apple way.

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

I wonder if thats more your carrier/coverage area on the lagged google notifications. I know some carriers delay updates and so on. I can setup a google calender event on my pc, wait less then a minute and my sprint evo has the updated calendar info. Just wondering how much your phones carrier is playing into that.

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I've never liked iPhones, simply because of the extremeness Apple goes with proprietary software/hardware i.e. with iPhones you CANNOT:

1. Remove/replace the battery, which is a big deal to me, as there's times I'm away from the ability to recharge my phone for days/weeks at a time (maybe there's a way, but it'd certainly void your warranty.).

2. Change/upgrade/swap memory chips (as opposed to phones that use microSD cards).

3. Access the actual phone software/"firmware" directly to modify/remove components you don't like or want to change (you can do this with Android phones by rooting them, and there are quite a few phones that the manufacturer supports bootloader unlocking in order to root the phone, such as my new Sony-Ericsson Xperia Play). Maybe the "jailbreaking" technique changes this, but it's still just one of my reasons.

I also don't like the NEED to install/use iTunes to activate the phone and do certain functions with it, such as update the phone (my Xperia supports OTA [over the air] firmware updates without having to connect to anything but a cell tower).

I've also noticed that iPhones use different plans than other phones... iPhone-specific plans. What's with that? They still do the same calling/texting/internet that other smartphones do.

Back to proprietary hardware, why can't iPhones use a mini/micro USB connection, instead of the connector that ONLY works with Apple devices? This makes it more complicated, costly, etc. to have different cables for different things... plus, every time they come out with a new device, the docking station, etc. that worked with your iPod doesn't work with the new iPhone, etc. which I think is an obvious ploy to force people to buy a whole new set of accessories every so often.

My other main issue WAS that iPhones didn't have any manual input options (the phone I got before was a G1/HTC Dream, which had a full button keyboard that slid out), but now that I have my new Xperia, the touchscreen keyboards have improved quite a bit so that I can actually text without having to backspace every other letter (back when I got my G1, I previously tried a touchscreen-only phone, and hated it).

10. DavidGP

Hi mcsmc

Great post and I agree with you in that the lack of easily changing the battery on an iPhone is a huge negative as you have to take it to an Apple Store to get replaced at a cost.

No memory card additional storage is a good point.

iTunes is woeful and the amount of times I have had friends or my mom (who has my old iPhone 3G now) has said the phone is not working after an update would make me a millionaire if I charged for support and fixing it for them.

On the plans dont know the USA plans much but many other smartphones, Android, BB and WM7 all have varied plans and some have good data and some not.

11. pauliwood

pauliwood Private First Class

I was considering an iPhone. My first smart phone was a Blackberry Storm. Wanted to stick bamboo shoots under my fingernails after 2 months of owning it. Constant battery pulls laggy response on the touchscreen. I actually had it replaced under warranty by Verizon twice.

Co-worker grabbed a Droid X a month or so before Verizon got them in store. Guess I was sold on the camera feature. Much like a 35mm camera, can snap 6 pics with one click. Good for trying to catch the rugrats while being active. I know, people have said there is software that can emulate that same feature. My theory was, if it's built into the phone, it's gonna work better than 3rd party software, and it's worked fine, 8 months and going.

I find the apps are plentiful. Plenty of free apps available on Amazon and the Droid Marketplace.

Nothing bad to say bout iPhone, never owned one. People who I work with love them.

I've heard the same about Blackberry's being popular with the younger crowd, just not sure why after my experience with them....lol

Goto your carrier's store, and hold each phone and play around with them is the best advice I can give you, or if you have children in their teens, ask them which is the better choice!

12. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Im going to light a touch paper here and probably anger a few people but hey.. its just opinion; feel free to help me change it!;)

iphone is a great smart phone for people who are not that technically minded and want the smart phone functionality... However in addition to the limitations allready listed

1. No flash player so your browsing capability is limited

2. Poor camera. Yes the pictures look great on the phone but that is because at the time of release the display on the phone was better than anything else around. As soon as you copy the pictures off and view on a PC at higher res, or print they are terrible

3. No ability to plug in as mass storage so you cant drag and drop files

4. No flash for camera makes it impossible to take pictures in low light

5. Only iphone 4 can record video.

In addition to the ease of use, I think the vast number of apps is a massive attraction.

Syncing to PC should not be an issue. You should set up email etc so that it connects directly to exchange server. I have just ordered first Adroid device and I am hopeful that the contact will sync with gmail. Thunderbird will then sync contacts with gmail too so the server becomes master and the other are simply slaves. Android should also support wifi file sharing (although you may need an app for that) so the when you want to put any music on you just drop it onto the phone.

I think that Android should be a lot better than ios but it maybe takes a bit more configuration to set up.

I think the reason that the youngsters like Black Berry is BB Messenger.

I am really waiting for Windows 8! Now that is exciting!

13. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

In addition to my previous post I think a lot of people get frustraited with Android because of the length of time it takes for updates to be propogated. ie google release gingerbread to manufacturers but they then add their own skins apps etc before releasing to users. This would/will annoy me!

There are still devices being shipped with Froyo installed... Not good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds