Processor Upgrade? Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jthorn322, Dec 9, 2004.

1. jthorn322

jthorn322 Private E-2

I have(for my son) an older 700mhz AMD Duron w/Gigabyte GA-7ZMMH version 2.0 motherboard and 256 pc133 SDRAM x2 with a GeForce FX5200 graphics card, C drive 30Mg, D drive 60mg. The "Gigabyte" website says I can upgrade as high as a Athlon 2600+(.13u) processor with this motherboard. There are also processors that end in (.18u) that it's supposed to be able to support. What's the difference in the .13u and .18u ? Will I have problems with my pc133 SDRAM or going from original 200mhz FSB to AthlonXP2600 w/266mhz FSB. I may not go that high..but at least AthlonXP2100..Thanks, Jeff

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

3. jthorn322

jthorn322 Private E-2

Sure wish I new the difference between the .13u and .18u and wich one to get...And if my upgrade will work. The AthlonXP processers aren't going to be available soon...So I need to upgrade now for cheap $ or spend $ for a new system and I don't want to fork out that much right now. Anyone? This is for Xmas for my son. Thanks, Jeff

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

It doesn't affect performance directly. its .13 "mew" or 0.13 micrometers. The smaller it is, the tighter the transistors are packed together, so the chip is smaller. Its down to accuracy basically.

Anyway. Semparons will basically be XP's, so don't worry about that.

If you're getting that 2600, make sure you have PC133 ram. FSB is 133, effective 266 on the CPU and 133 on the ram.

You cannot get a processor with a larger FSB than 266Mhz. Thats your only limit, other than motherboard specific issues.

5. jthorn322

jthorn322 Private E-2

Thanks Goldfish, My concern on the Sempron is they're all 333mhz which I can't use with his current system without new MB and DDR SDRAM. Then I may as well buy new system which I don't want to do yet($). My RAM is PC133 , 512 total . Will there be a significant difference for him when gaming between the (say) xp2000 and xp2600?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds